Employing a professional carer or personal assistant

If you're looking for a care worker to help you live independently at home, you may get one through your local health trust or a home care agency, or you may choose to employ someone directly.

What a professional carer can do for you

Professional carers have a variety of skills - some have nursing and first aid qualifications and others may be home helps or personal assistants. Examples of the type of tasks a carer might help with are:

  • cooking and cleaning
  • help with personal care like washing and using the toilet
  • driving or help with getting around
  • medical tasks like giving injections or changing a catheter
  • shopping, banking and paying bills

Options for professional home care

There are three basic arrangements for getting a professional carer:

  • you may have one provided by your local Trust, in which case everything is arranged for you
  • you may ask a care agency to find you a suitable carer - this means you have to find and pay the care agency, but you don't take on any responsibilities as an employer because the carer works for the agency
  • you may employ a carer directly - this option gives you more choice and control over who cares for you and what tasks they do, but it also means you have legal responsibilities as an employer

Getting started - help from your local Trust

The first step towards getting the care you need is usually a health and social care assessment with the your local Trust. At the assessment, a specialist - usually an occupational therapist - will discuss your needs with you so the right support can be provided.

If the Trust agrees you need care at home, you can usually receive direct payments.

This means you can arrange and pay for your own care services instead of having them provided by the Trust.

Once you know how much your direct payments will be, you can work out how much to pay a carer and how many hours a week you would like them to work.

Your direct payments should meet your care needs, but if you want to use a more expensive care service or pay for extra hours, you can top them up yourself.

Writing a job description

Think about exactly what help you need before you employ someone or sign a contract with an agency. It may be helpful to think about a typical day for you and write a job description for your carer. This should include:

  • a list of all the tasks you may need help with
  • any particular skills or qualifications your care worker must have, for example, a nursing qualification or a full driving licence
  • an estimate of the number of hours and days you will need the person to work

A detailed job description can help home care agencies select a suitable carer for you.

If you're looking to employ a carer yourself, a job description will help people who are interested in applying to get a clear understanding of what the job involves.

Finding a carer through a home care agency

All home care agencies are regulated and inspected regularly by the Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA). This guarantees certain minimum standards of service. Home care agencies must also conduct AccessNI checks on all employees who will be working with people with disabilities.

Finding a carer yourself

Advertising the job

You can place job advertisements in your local Jobs and Benefits office for free. Local shops, supermarkets and voluntary organisations may also have noticeboards where you can place job advertisements.

Job advertisements should be brief and state:

  • the type of work involved
  • working hours
  • rate of pay
  • your contact details
  • the general area in which you live

For safety reasons, it's best to give your mobile phone number or a box number in your advertisement, rather than your address or home phone number.

Job interviews

Once you have received job applications, select the people you'd like to interview for the job. You can ask a friend or relative to go to the interviews, especially if they are taking place in your own home.

Before the interviews, you should prepare a list of questions that cover the key aspects of the job.

References and AccessNI checks

When you've decided who to offer the job to, you are responsible for checking they are suitable. You should always ask for and check out at least two references, including one from someone they've cared for previously.

Individual employers do not have to request an AccessNI check on any potential employee but you may still want to do this. You will need to ask your local Trust or a local voluntary organisation to make the request for information to AccessNI on your behalf.

Your responsibilities when employing a professional carer

If you employ a carer directly, you will take on certain responsibilities as an employer. This is the case regardless of whether you employ someone for a few hours a week or full-time.


As an employer you may be responsible for deducting tax and National Insurance from your employee's wages and paying them to HM Revenue & Customs together with your employer's National Insurance contribution. Whether you will have to do this depends on how much your employee earns.

Your local social services department may be able to help you with the paperwork for HM Revenue & Customs.

Paying your carer

You must pay your carer at least the National Minimum Wage.

If your carer lives with you, there are special rules for calculating the value of the accommodation you provide. You can count this amount as part of your employee's pay and it counts towards the National Minimum Wage.

Working hours, time off, sick pay and holiday pay

As an employee, your carer or personal assistant has an entitlement to:

  • rest breaks
  • a maximum number of working hours in any week
  • holiday pay
  • sick pay (in most cases)

You can find out more about your responsibilities for providing these things at the following pages:

Liability insurance

As an employer, you must take out:

  • Employer's liability insurance
  • Public liability insurance

Employer's liability insurance covers you if your carer has an accident or is injured while working for you (in cases where you might be held responsible).

Public liability insurance covers you for any damage or injury you or your carer cause to anyone else while your carer is working for you.

You can sometimes include employer's liability insurance and public liability insurance in a comprehensive household insurance policy.

If you get direct payments to pay for your care, your local Trust must discuss your arrangements to meet the cost of employer's liability insurance with you. 

Creating a written statement of employment

If you employ your carer for one month or more, you must give them a written statement of the terms and conditions of their employment within two months of them starting work for you. The statement must include:

  • pay
  • hours of work
  • holiday entitlement
  • sick pay arrangements
  • notice periods
  • information about disciplinary and grievance procedures

Respite care or short-term breaks

If you're usually cared for by a family member or relative, you may want to have a professional carer visit from time to time to give your regular carer a break. This is called 'respite care' and is usually provided by the social services department of your local Trust.

You would not usually have any employment responsibilities for a respite carer.

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to anglingcorrespondence@daera-ni.gov.uk 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 
Email dcs.incomingpostteamdhc2@nissa.gsi.gov.uk

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to bluebadges@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email ani@accessni.gov.uk

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to ema_ni@slc.co.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email gro_nisra@finance-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email dcu@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

If you can’t find the information you’re looking for in the Coronavirus (COVID-19) section, then for queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.