Exempted passenger carrying vehicles
Holders of a full category B (car) driving licence may drive any of the vehicles listed below:
- a passenger carrying vehicle manufactured more than 30 years before the date it is driven and not used for hire or reward or for the carriage of more than eight passengers
- a minibus with up to 16 passenger seats
When driving a minibus the following conditions must be met:
- the vehicle is used for social purposes by a non-commercial body on a 'not for hire or reward' basis
- the driver is aged at least 21 and providing the service on a voluntary basis
- the driver has held a car (category B) licence for at least two years
- the minibus maximum weight is not more than 3.5 tonnes (4.25 tonnes if fitted with specialist equipment for the carriage of passengers)
When driving a minibus under these conditions you may not receive any payment or consideration for driving other than out-of-pocket expenses. You can't tow trailers; you may only drive minibuses in this country.
Drivers aged 70 or over will need to make a special application which involves meeting higher medical standards.
Holders of a full category D (PCV) driving licence can also drive a passenger carrying recovery vehicle. This is defined as a vehicle (not being an articulated goods vehicle combination) which:
- has an unladen weight not exceeding 10.2 tonnes
- is being operated by the holder of a public service vehicle (PSV) operator's licence
- is being used for the purpose of proceeding to, or returning from, a place where assistance is to be, or has been, given to a damaged or disabled passenger-carrying vehicle; or is giving assistance to or moving a disabled passenger-carrying vehicle or moving a damaged vehicle
How are vehicles classified for driver licensing purposes?
The Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) can't give legal advice on how vehicles are classified but, generally speaking it depends on the weight of the vehicle or the number of passengers it can carry. Any queries should be directed to the DVA:
- phone: 0845 4024 000 (lines are open Monday to Friday from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm)
- Buses and lorries you can drive and minimum ages