Driving outside Northern Ireland

If you plan to drive when visiting or moving to other parts of the UK or another country, it’s important that you understand what’s required of you. You'll need your Northern Ireland (NI) driving licence and in certain countries an International Driving Permit is also required.

Prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit

Find out at the link below what all drivers may need to do to drive in the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) when the UK leaves the EU:

International Driving Permit (IDP)

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a formal document issued to visitors to another country which translates details of a driving licence into several languages. This enables foreign authorities to interpret the driving entitlements held, their validity periods, and the identity of the holder.

They are issued by the Post Office. When applying for an IDP you will need:

  • a full valid UK driving licence - photocard or an older paper licence
  • a passport sized photograph - a recent true likeness of the applicant
  • the application fee (cash or debit/credit card)
  • original valid passport as proof of identification (only if presenting an older paper version licence)

Any enquiries about IDPs (such as how much they cost and how to apply) should be directed to the Post Office .

Crossing borders

If you hold a UK or NI driving licence you should not need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in the Republic of Ireland after Brexit.

You may need an IDP, along with your driving licence, to drive in other EU or EEA countries if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

If you hold an EU or EEA licence you will not need an IDP to drive in the UK. Therefore Republic of Ireland motorists will not need an IDP, in addition to their driving licence, to drive in NI.

Hiring a car

When hiring a car in an EU country after Brexit, a Green Card should not be needed, because the insurance that comes with it from the rental company should provide the necessary cover.

Visiting another country

You may use your NI licence for driving in other European Economic Area (EEA) member states. However, you should note that while the minimum age for driving a car in NI is 17, individual member states may apply their own age restrictions for entitlements.

The member states are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain and Sweden.

If you’re caught breaking the law, for example by a speed camera, the authorities can get the vehicle’s registered keeper’s details from Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).  For rules in other European countries check with a motoring organisation:

Check with a motoring organisation if you want to drive in a non EEA country. They will advise you whether you need an International Driving Permit.

Moving to another country

If you move to another country, you should check with the driving licence authorities there for information about driving and exchange of licences. You don't need to notify Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) of a change of address when moving to live abroad.

Returning to NI

If you return to NI from a non-EEA country and are not in possession of a NI licence, you may:

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.