Children from the Traveller community

If your child is a member of the Traveller community, there is additional educational support and advice available.

Support available

Your child’s school will ask all parents to identify their child’s ethnicity as part of the enrolment procedure. If you identify your child as a Traveller, the Department of Education (DE) allocates additional funding to the school to help them to support your child.

Each school will decide how best to use the money allocated to them to benefit the Traveller children in their care:

The Intercultural Education Service

The Intercultural Education Service (IES) is funded by DE through the Education Authority and seeks to support schools, Traveller children and young people, and their families by working directly with them.

It also works in partnership with other interested agencies and associated groups to improve education for Traveller children.

You can find more information about the services provided by IES below:

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.