Retinoblastoma (eye cancer in children)

Retinoblastoma is a rare type of eye cancer that can affect young children (usually under five years of age). If it's picked up early, retinoblastoma can often be successfully treated (children treated for retinoblastoma diagnosed at an early stage have a survival rate of more than 95 per cent).

About retinoblastoma

Retinoblastoma can either affect one or both eyes. If it affects both eyes, it's usually diagnosed before a child is one year old. If it affects one eye, it tends to be diagnosed later (between the ages of two and three).

Signs and symptoms of retinoblastoma

Signs and symptoms of retinoblastoma include:

  • an unusual white reflection in the pupil – this may be seen in photos where only the healthy eye appears red from the flash, or you may notice it in a dark or artificially lit room
  • squint
  • a change in the colour of the iris – in one eye or sometimes only in one area of the eye 
  • a red or inflamed eye – though your child won't usually complain of any pain
  • poor vision – your child may not focus on faces or objects, or they may not be able to control their eye movements (this is more common when both eyes are affected); they may say that they can't see as well as they used to

These symptoms may be caused by something other than retinoblastoma. You should get them checked by your GP as soon as possible.

It's unusual for retinoblastoma to progress unnoticed beyond the age of five. Signs in older children include the eye appearing red, sore or swollen, and some loss of vision in the affected eye.

Causes of retinoblastoma

Retinoblastoma is cancer of the retina. The retina is the light-sensitive lining at the back of the eye.

During the early stages of a baby's development, retinal eye cells grow very quickly and then stop growing. In rare cases, one or more cells continue to grow and form a cancer called retinoblastoma.

In about 4 out of 10 of cases, retinoblastoma is caused by a faulty gene, which often affects both eyes (bilateral). The faulty gene may be inherited from a parent, or a change to the gene (mutation) may occur at an early stage of the child's development in the womb.

It's not known what causes the remaining 60 per cent of retinoblastoma cases. In these cases, there's no faulty gene and only one eye is affected (unilateral).

Around 50 to 60 children are diagnosed with retinoblastoma in the UK each year.

Diagnosing retinoblastoma

Your GP will carry out a 'red reflex test' in a darkened room using an ophthalmoscope (a magnifying instrument with a light at one end).

When a light is shone into your child's eyes, your GP will see a red reflection if the retina is normal. If the reflection is white, it may be a sign of an eye condition such as cataractsretinal detachment or retinoblastoma. In this case, your child will be urgently referred to an eye specialist for further investigation.

After these investigations, if the eye specialist thinks your child has retinoblastoma they'll refer them to a specialist retinoblastoma treatment centre.

Treating retinoblastoma

If your child needs chemotherapy, it will usually be carried out at a local children's cancer centre and overseen by the retinoblastoma team at a specialist hospital.

The treatment will depend on the stage of the tumour which can either be:

  • intraocular – where the cancer is completely within the eye
  • extraocular – where the cancer spreads beyond the eye to the surrounding tissue, or to another part of the body (this is rarely seen in the UK) 

The health professionals looking after your child’s care will discuss the treatment options with you.

Most cases of retinoblastoma (9 out 10) are detected early and successfully treated before the cancer spreads outside the eyeball.

If the cancer has spread beyond the eye it will be more difficult to treat. This is rare as the condition is usually identified well before it reaches this stage.

Your child's treatment team will discuss any possible side effects of treatment with you. Different treatments have different side effects.

Retinoblastoma requires a long period of follow-up tests, which will, at first, be carried out at one of the specialist retinoblastoma centres. After a period of treatment, the tests will usually take place at your local eye department.

Screening for retinoblastoma

If you're expecting a baby and you had retinoblastoma yourself as a child, or you have a family history of retinoblastoma, it's important to tell your GP or midwife.

This is because in some cases retinoblastoma is an inherited condition and babies considered at increased risk of developing it may be offered screening after the birth.

Your GP will be able to refer you to a specialist centre so tests can be arranged when your baby is born.

The aim of screening is to identify tumours as early as possible so that treatment can be started straight away. Children under five years of age are usually screened by having their eyes examined while under general anaesthetic.

Your child will need to be screened often up until they're five years old.

The information on this page has been adapted from original content from the NHS website.

For further information see terms and conditions.

Health conditions A to Z

Search by health condition or symptoms

Or find conditions beginning with …

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.