Victims of crime abroad

If you're a victim of crime abroad, a consulate or embassy can provide help and support. In most countries, you must report the crime before you leave the country if you want it to be investigated. You might need to report the crime to make a travel insurance claim.

Report a lost passport

Remember, you must report a lost or stolen passport as soon as possible.

How the embassy, commission or consulate can help

You can get help to:

  • understand local police and legal procedures
  • find an English-speaking lawyer or translator
  • find medical treatment or an English-speaking doctor
  • contact your relatives and friends to let them know something has happened to you

They won’t be able to:

  • give you legal advice
  • collect evidence or investigate crimes
  • influence the outcome of any trial
  • give you financial help, for example for travel costs to a trial abroad or to replace stolen property
  • accept any lost or recovered stolen property, except for passports and driving licences

You may be able to claim compensation if you’re the victim of crime abroad.

Rape and sexual assault

You can also get specific help if you’ve been the victim of rape or sexual assault abroad.

It’s your choice to report a rape or sexual assault to the local police, but doing so quickly can help with any investigation or gathering evidence.

The British embassy, commission or consulate will support you and help you to:

  • arrange for someone to accompany you to a local police station
  • arrange a medical examination or find an English-speaking doctor
  • get advice on sexually-transmitted infections, abortions and pregnancy, according to local laws and customs
  • get advice, professional help or counselling - both abroad and in the UK

They will deal with your situation in a sensitive, confidential and non-judgemental way. You can ask to deal with a male or female member of staff, whichever you prefer, at any time.

European emergency number – 112

Anyone can call local emergency services anywhere in the European Union using the number 112.

In some EU countries 112 has become the main emergency number but in most countries it operates alongside other national emergency numbers.

Travelling on an Irish passport

If you are travelling on an Irish passport, you can find useful information at the following link:

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.