Using scaffolding safely

Find out about hiring and licensing your scaffolding, plus related safety aspects and building regulations.

Hiring scaffolding

To hire scaffolding you'll need to contact a scaffolding hire company. The design, erection, alteration and dismantling of scaffolding must only be done by trained people. You should employ a qualified builder or scaffolding company to carry out the erection of scaffolding, and a qualified builder to do related building work.


You must have approval from the Department for Infrastructure's TransportNI if scaffolding is to be erected on a public road or pavement.


Employing qualified, people to erect your scaffolding and carry out building work should help to make sure your building site is a safe place. It is recommended that you ask the person or company you employ if they are aware of their health and safety responsibilities.

Building regulations

Contact your local council for details of any building regulations you may need to consider, like materials and workmanship. You also need to make sure you have any necessary planning permission for the building project your scaffolding relates to. The local council's planning  office can give you advice.


For more information, go to:

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.