Saving for your children

Saving for a child today is a wonderful gift for their future. Not only can they start their adult lives with some savings in hand, but getting kids involved early with saving also helps them learn important lessons about money.

Children’s savings accounts and savings options for children

Did you know?

Saving a little each month, say £10 for 18 years, will add up over time, and earn interest. At 2% per year, there would be over £2,500, which could help with university costs or pay for driving lessons.

  • You can set up an account with a bank or building society on behalf of a child. They can start managing their own account once they reach the age of seven.
  • These accounts offer a great way to learn how to manage money and help get kids into the savings habit. And some providers will include a gift with the account, like a money box.
  • Start an account with as little as £1 for any child aged up to 18.
  • In some cases, your child can take out their money whenever they like.
  • There are two main types of children’s savings accounts: instant access (also known as easy access), and regular savings.
  • With an instant access account, you or your child can withdraw or deposit money at any time. Normally, you get a lower rate of interest than with other account types.
  • Regular savings accounts are designed to encourage children to save an amount every month, and often run for a set amount of time, for example 12 months. If you withdraw within that time the account might reduce the interest you’ll get. These accounts usually pay a higher rate of interest than instant and easy access accounts as a result.

Comparison websites are a good starting point for anyone trying to find a savings account tailored to their needs.

You can use the following websites for comparing savings accounts:


  • Comparison websites won’t all give you the same results, so make sure you use more than one site before making a decision.
  • It is also important to do some research into the type of savings you want and the features it needs to have, for example if you want children to have to wait until a certain age before they can access the savings.
  • Find out more in our guide to comparison sites.

Piggy bank

  • A good idea for very young children where the key things they need to learn are that money is not a toy and that you need to keep it in a safe place.
  • Help them understand the value of different coins and notes, and that bigger coins aren’t necessarily more valuable.
  • It’s also a good chance to start giving your child regular pocket money, with a small responsibility attached like getting weekend treats. This will help them learn that you have to save up for what you want, that you have to make choices, and that when it’s gone, it’s gone.
  • Keep in mind that the amount of pocket money doesn’t matter, it could be as small as 5p, because it’s the practice that’s really important. Don’t miss out the responsibility aspect because otherwise your child is at risk of simply collecting money, rather than developing an understanding of how money works.

Junior Cash or Stocks and Shares ISAs (sometimes called NISAs)

Did you know?

Recent research shows that, on average, parents in the UK are putting aside £42.45 a month for each child.

Source: L&G Investments

  • If you want to open a Junior ISA for your child and they already have a Child Trust Fund, ask the provider to transfer the money from the Child Trust Fund into the Junior ISA.
  • Cash ISAs can be a good savings option because your child will pay no tax on the interest they earn while Stocks and Shares ISAs are ‘tax-efficient’ because their investment is free from any liability to Capital Gains or Income tax.
  • While a parent or guardian must open the account, the money belongs to the child. But they can only withdraw the money after turning 18.
  • Each child can have one Junior Cash ISA and one Junior Stocks and Shares ISA during their childhood, but it is possible to transfer each to different providers.
  • Junior Cash ISAs work the same way as a savings account, except that the interest is tax-free and the money is locked up until the child is 18.
  • Junior Stocks and Shares ISAs let you buy shares, bonds and other eligible investments on behalf of a child. The value of these investments can go down as well as up.
  • The Junior ISA limit is £9,000 for the 2021/22 tax year.
  • If the child is aged 16 or 17, they can take out an (adult) cash ISA and save up to £20,000 a year, as well as up to £9,000 in a Junior ISA (2021/22).

Read a transcript of this video

Friendly Society tax-exempt plan

  • These children’s savings plans are only available through Friendly Societies. These are mutual benefit organisations, which means they’re owned by their members to work for the advantage of those members.
  • You can choose to pay into the plan for between ten and 25 years.
  • Money is invested in a share-based investment fund for the term length you choose. The maximum amount you can pay in is £270 a year, or £300 a year if you pay in £25 each month.
  • On the maturity date, the child must be at least 16 and you must have paid into the plan for a minimum of ten years.
  • The value of these types of investment can go down as well as up. Friendly Society policy charges also apply.
  • As long as you continue to pay into the plan for a minimum of ten years, your child won’t pay Capital Gains and Income Tax on any gains or income.
  • The tax-free limit of £270 a year is in addition to your annual ISA allowance.

Child Trust Fund accounts

Child Trust Funds are now closed to new accounts. Since April 2015, parents have been able to transfer savings from Child Trust Fund accounts to Junior ISAs.

If a child was born between 2002 and 2011, they might have a Child Trust Fund (CTF). These can be transferred into a Junior ISA.

If the CTF is not transferred, when a child reaches 18 they’ll still be able to access the money.

NS&I Premium bonds

  • Unlike other savings or investments, where you earn interest or a regular dividend income, with Premium Bonds you’re entered into a monthly prize draw where you can win between £25 and £1 million tax free.
  • On average, 1 in 3 people win a prize each year with a £1,000 investment.
  • You can buy them for yourself or on behalf of your child, grandchild or great-grandchild.
  • You must be aged at least 16 to purchase Premium Bonds.
  • You’ll need to invest at least £25.
  • You can keep buying bonds for your child until you reach the maximum holding level of £50,000.
  • You can give your child the responsibility of keeping their investment details safe and being involved in the decision about what to do with their money if they win.
  • Suitable if you want to buy them as a gift for your child or grandchild under 16 if you’re their parent, legal guardian or grandparent
  • Backed by HM Treasury, so all the money you invest is 100% secure.

NS&I Children’s Bonds

Children’s Bonds are no longer on sale. For more information on your options if your child has one maturing soon, please visit our page on Children’s Bonds.

Child pensions

Savings towards your child’s future retirement might not be the first thing you think of when considering the various saving options for your child. But, it does mean they’ll only be able to access this pension money when they’re a far more sensible 55 years old. This will rise to age 57 from 2028 and

  • Any parent or legal guardian can set up a pension, and it will automatically transfer to your child once they reach 18. They can then start to contribute to it themselves.
  • You could save up to £2,880 tax efficiently each tax year with the government automatically topping up any contribution by 25%. This means your contribution automatically becomes £3,600.
  • Contributions over £2,880 in that year are still allowed but you won’t receive any additional contribution from the government.
  • Any growth in your child pension is free of tax meaning that it can start to increase quickly. Like any investment though, it can also go up as well as down.
  • For example, assuming you invest the maximum over just 3 years of £8,640 (£10,800 including the government top up), assuming an average inflation adjusted growth rate of 2.5% over 50 years, your child pension could be worth £350,943 in 50 years with 25% available as a tax-free lump sum under current legislation.

This article is provided by the Money Advice Service.

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

If you can’t find the information you’re looking for in the Coronavirus (COVID-19) section, then for queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.