Protect horses from pain, suffering, injury, disease

Guidance on the health and welfare of your horse - including information on illness, breeding and transport.

Illness and horses

Everyone responsible for the supervision of horses should be able to recognise signs of ill health and have a basic knowledge of equine first aid. It is also important that owners/keepers ask a vet to diagnose or treat any illness, injury or disease.

Owners/keepers should have a vet’s contact details easily available, including out of hours information to allow you to contact a vet quickly should an emergency occur. The horse’s passport should be readily accessible; if it is not, some treatments may not be available.

Signs of poor health and horses

Owners and keepers of horses should be able to recognise the normal behaviour of their horses and recognise the signs that suggest poor health. These include:

  • change in appetite or drinking habits. (In donkeys, loss of appetite can be life threatening in a very short period of time so veterinary advice should be sought immediately)
  • change in droppings or signs of diarrhoea
  • change in demeanour or behaviour
  • change in weight (either increase or decrease)
  • change in coat/foot condition
  • any signs of pain or discomfort, including reluctance to move, pawing at the ground, rolling, increased rate of respiration and sweating
  • reluctance to stand or inability to stand
  • any sign of injury or lameness, including puncture wounds
  • any signs of disease, such as fluids leaking from the eye/ear/nose, congestion of membranes/conjunctiva, or difficulty coughing or breathing

Any change in your horse’s behaviour should alert you to the possibility that it might be ill. If you think that there is anything wrong with your horse, contact your veterinary practice.

When a horse becomes unwell, the cause of this deterioration should be identified and immediate remedial action taken. Veterinary advice should be obtained if the horse appears to be ill or in pain and the cause is not clear or if initial first aid treatment is not effective.

In the case of foot problems, advice should be obtained in the first instance from a Vet who may, if necessary, recommend a farrier to assist. Advice from the vet or farrier should be followed diligently.

Routine healthcare for horses

A parasite control programme should be put in place on advice from a vet or other suitably qualified person. This may include the use of wormers, and suitable faecal worm egg counts. Careful pasture management including the rotation of grazing and dung collection is an important part of an effective parasite control programme.

There should be adequate control of infectious and contagious disease by a programme agreed with a vet, which will include suitable hygiene and isolation procedures and vaccination.

Isolation of horses

When a new horse enters premises, the horse should be isolated before being introduced to the rest of the herd. As a minimum, this should mean that the new horse is not turned out with other horses, and is stabled in a quiet, separate part of the yard.

The horse should not be allowed direct contact with other horses during this period. Separate equipment should be used to groom and care for the new horse. This period of isolation allows the horse to develop any clinical signs of disease that may be incubating at the time of arrival and protects the other horses in the yard from becoming infected.

The period of isolation and any testing for infectious diseases should be determined in consultation with your vet.

If a horse on any premises is ill with an infectious disease, your vet should be consulted as to what measures are needed to prevent the disease spreading to other animals.

In general, measures should be taken to isolate affected animals, prevent sharing of equipment between different horses, wash hands and possibly change clothes between caring for healthy and suspect animals. Disinfectant footbaths between stables should always be refreshed.

Vaccinations and horses

In general, all horses should be vaccinated against tetanus as horses are very susceptible to this condition. Horses can also be vaccinated against infectious diseases such as equine herpes virus (respiratory and abortion form only) and equine influenza. You should discuss with your vet what vaccinations are most suitable for your horse as this will depend on its age and use.

In-foal mares are at risk from infection with equine herpes virus which can cause abortion. Equine herpes virus is common in young horses so pregnant mares should be separated from young horses.

Teeth should be inspected by a vet or trained equine dental technician at least once a year, and rasped or treated in some other way if necessary. Horses with worn or abnormal teeth are unable to chew their food properly which leads to poor digestion and they may experience dental pain.

Owners and keepers should look out for signs of this problem, such as:

  • half-chewed food dropping out of the mouth
  • poor condition and lack of energy
  • abnormal mouth movements when ridden

Older horses and health

Older horses may require special dental requirements and may need to have their teeth checked more than once a year. Every horse owner/keeper should have some understanding of the care of a horse’s feet and the need to treat lameness quickly and effectively.


Hooves should be trimmed regularly by a good farrier and attention should be paid to their growth and balance. A horse should not be expected to work at a level above that which the hooves are capable of, whether shod or unshod. If horses are used unshod they will need to be carefully managed, and receive regular hoof care which ensures their use on difficult surfaces does not cause them to become sore and lame.

In the main, horses ridden or driven on roads or hard, rough surfaces will need to be regularly shod by an able farrier. Loose shoes should receive prompt attention and hooves should be trimmed or re-shod as advised by the farrier, which should usually be every four to eight weeks. The frequency of hoof trimming will depend on various factors including health, nutrition, age and type of work.


Flies can cause a great deal of irritation to horses, particularly during the summer, and can introduce infection to wounds so a suitable treatment from a vet should be used.

Midges can also be a source of irritation during the spring and summer and can cause sweet itch (an allergic skin condition). Consideration should be given to preventative fly and midge control. Measures could include the use of fly repellents, fly rugs or masks and for horses sensitive to fly or midge bites, the use of stabling at dawn and dusk when flies and particularly midges are most active. If used, fly rugs or masks should be properly fitted to avoid rubbing and slipping.

Breeding horses

If you decide to breed from your mare, there are a number of considerations to be taken into account. You should always consider age, conformation and temperament to decide if the mare is suitable for breeding. In addition, mares have special requirements during pregnancy, foaling and the post-foaling period.

Caring for a young foal can be expensive and requires a large investment of your time. You should consider whether you are prepared for this and can make sure of a good future for the foal before breeding your mare.

Tack and harness

Tack and harness should be correctly fitted, preferably by a qualified saddler or harness fitter. Regular checks should be carried out to make sure that the fit of tack and harness has not changed through routine use or change in body condition.

Equipment should be regularly cleaned and maintained in good order to make sure of comfort, safety and effectiveness.

Boots and bandages, if used should be suitable for the purpose, correctly fitted to avoid discomfort or injury and only left on for the minimum time necessary.

Transporting horses

Transporting horses and ponies should always be as safe and stress free as possible and in line with rules about animal welfare during transport.

For transporting horses only use a vehicle which:

  • is safe
  • in good working order
  • has a suitable floor
  • provides suitable support and space for the horses in transit

Horses should not be transported unless they are in a good state of health (unless they are travelling for veterinary treatment). Water, feed and rest should be offered to horses at suitable intervals and should be suitable in quality and quantity to the horses being transported. The transport of foals should be considered carefully to safeguard the welfare of both foal and mare.

Care for old or ill horses

As horses become older their needs may become greater and they may need increased supervision and additional veterinary care. When a horse reaches the end of its active working life, or is very elderly, consideration should be given to whether the horse can be provided with a good quality of life in retirement. Owners have a responsibility to make sure that they or whoever is entrusted with the care of such a horse is aware of the horses' needs.


A horse's welfare must always be the owner's concern. Owners should should allow a vet or a qualified, experienced and equipped person to humanely destroy a horse when:

  • it is significantly suffering, has not responded to treatment for a serious injury or condition involving significant pain
  • has a disease or injury from which there is no prospect of recovery and for which no treatment is available
  • it is in such a condition that it would be inhumane to keep it alive, the animal should be humanely destroyed without delay by a vet or a suitably qualified, experienced and equipped person

More useful links

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

If you can’t find the information you’re looking for in the Coronavirus (COVID-19) section, then for queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.