How to apply for a dropped kerb

A crossing across a public footpath or verge for your vehicle to gain access to your property from the highway is known as a private entrance or a 'dropped kerb'.

Dropped kerb

It is illegal to build a vehicle crossing over a public footpath without a dropped kerb. This is to make sure that the crossing:

  • is strong enough to take the weight of the vehicle
  • does not create a hazard for pedestrians or other footpath and road users

Contact your local Department for Infrastructure Roads (DfI Roads) office for details on how to apply for a dropped kerb. 

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback