How alcohol affects your health

Alcohol is used to make wine, beer, spirits and liqueurs. It is a legal, sedative drug that can cause addiction or dependency for people who drink too much. Alcohol can change behaviour. Alcohol abuse harms your health and damages relationships and society through violence, crime, accidents and drink driving.

Drinking too much

When you drink too much on a single occasion, the immediate effects are:

The long-term effects on your health are more serious when you binge drink or regularly drink too much. 

Drink problems

You might have a drink problem if your drinking is:

  • damaging your health and relationships
  • disrupting your work, education or lifestyle

Young and old people can have a drink problem depending on how often they drink and the way they drink.

Having a drink problem doesn’t mean you’re addicted to alcohol, but you could become addicted if you don’t reduce the role alcohol has in your life.


An alcoholic cannot control or stop their harmful drink. You can die from alcoholism. It is an illness where you have an addiction or dependence on alcohol.  You experience withdrawal symptoms if you stop drinking.

Binge drinking

Binge drinking means drinking too much alcohol in a short time. For a man, drinking more than eight units of alcohol on one occasion is a binge. For a woman, it’s more than six units on one occasion.

If you binge drink, you could develop long-term or permanent health problems. Binge drinking can cause:

  • blackouts
  • memory loss
  • anxiety
  • irregular heartbeat


A hangover follows a bout of heavy drinking. When you’re hungover, you’re dehydrated and experiencing alcohol poisoning. You also:

Brain damage

Alcohol can damage your brain. Brain damage affects your:

  • behaviour
  • memory
  • ability to learn

Alcohol is very harmful to young people because their brains are still developing.

If you’re a regular heavy drinker, you risk:

  • permanent brain damage
  • mental health problems
  • alcoholism


Alcohol is the second biggest risk for cancer after smoking. If you regularly drink above the weekly alcohol limits, you're at greater risk of developing:

Breast cancer

Alcohol can increase a woman’s risk of breast cancer. The more you drink, the greater the risk. Drinking alcohol changes your body’s hormone levels, including the female sex hormone oestrogen.

Oestrogen is essential for normal sexual development and functioning female reproductive organs. But it can stimulate the growth of breast cancer.

Heart and circulation

Alcohol can cause high blood pressure, which increases your risk of having a heart attack or stroke.

Alcohol also weakens heart muscles, which can affect the lungs, liver, brain and other body systems, and also cause heart failure.

Binge drinking and drinking heavily over longer periods can cause an irregular heartbeat. This condition is linked to sudden death.


If you drink alcohol heavily, you're prone to lung infections such as pneumonia. You could also suffer a collapsed lung.

When a person vomits due to drinking alcohol, they could choke if vomit gets into their lungs.


Fat deposits develop in your liver if you drink too much alcohol. This can inflame the liver and cause alcoholic hepatitis, which can result in liver failure and death.

drinking too much alcohol can permanently scar and damage the liver, resulting in liver cirrhosis. This increases the risk of liver cancer.  

A woman’s liver takes longer to break down alcohol and also longer to repair when damaged.


Drinking too much can lead to:

Alcohol can also cause gastritis, which means stomach inflammation. This can prevent you absorbing vitamins from food and increase the risk of cancer.


Heavy or long-term drinking can cause inflammation of the pancreas. It is a very painful condition where a drinker experiences:

A drinker can die from this condition.


Heavy drinking can irritate the lining of your intestines and cause:

  • inflammation and ulcers
  • intestinal and colon cancer

Damage to your intestines also affects your body's ability to absorb nutrients and vitamins.


Heavy drinking can increase your risk of developing high blood pressure. This causes chronic kidney disease.


Long-term drinking can cause infertility in men and women. Men can also become impotent.

Drinking alcohol when pregnant can damage your unborn baby's development.


Alcohol interferes with your body's ability to absorb calcium. If you lack calcium, your bones become weak and thin.

Weight gain

You can put on weight if you drink alcohol regularly. Alcoholic drinks are high in calories due to starch and sugar content. The calories are empty because there is no nutritional value in alcohol.  

Calories in alcoholic drinks

You can compare the calories (kcal) in different quantities of drinks:

  • a pint (568ml) of four per cent  beer has 182 calories
  • a medium glass (175ml) of 13 per cent  wine has 159 calories
  • a pint of 4.5 per cent  cider has 216 calories
  • a measure (35ml) of 40 per cent  spirit has 85 calories


Alcohol dehydrates your body and skin. It also widens blood vessels, causing your skin to look red or blotchy.

Sexual health

Binge drinking makes you lose your inhibitions and affects your judgement. This may make you less likely to use a condom, increasing your risk of getting a sexually transmitted infection (STI) such as chlamydia, HIV or hepatitis. It can also lead to an unplanned pregnancy.

Mental health

Alcohol is linked to mental health problems including:

 Drinking too much can disrupt normal sleeping patterns and cause:

This can make you feel stressed and anxious.

More useful links

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.