Cycle parking and security
Cyclists can use cycle stands or cycle hoops to securely park bikes on the street. Cycle hoops will be coloured grey or orange. You can also get advice on how to keep your cycle secure.
Cyclists wanting to securely park their bike often chain it to railings or lampposts. Now they have the option of cycle hoops, which:
- prevent bicycles from falling over
- allow them to be locked through the frame and both wheels, reducing the risk of theft
They are ideal for locations where pavement space is limited and their compact design helps reduce street clutter.
Cycle hoop locations
Cycle hoops have been installed across central and south Belfast. You can find out where the Belfast cycle hoops are at this link:
Park and Ride facilities
Secure parking facilities are also available for bikes at many of the ‘Park and Ride’ locations throughout Northern Ireland.
Cycle security advice from PSNI
The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) advise cyclists to:
- not leave cycles in isolated places
- park cycles safely and considerately
- always lock a cycle when leaving it even if it’s only for a few minutes
- secure bikes to proper cycle stands or robust furniture
- lock cycles through the frame
- secure or remove wheels
- remove smaller parts and accessories that can’t be secured
- security mark your property
- use a ‘Sold Secure' accredited cycle lock