Good sources of calcium
Good sources of calcium include:
- milk, cheese and other dairy foods
- green leafy vegetables, such as broccoli, cabbage and okra (but not spinach)
- soya beans
- soya drinks with added calcium
- bread and anything made with fortified flour
- fish where you eat the bones (such as sardines and pilchards)
How much calcium you need
Adults need 700mg of calcium a day.
You should be able to get all the calcium you need from your daily diet.
Taking too much calcium
Taking high doses of calcium could lead to stomach pain and diarrhoea.