Student finance forms and guides

Applications for student loans can be made online through Student Finance NI. This page contains guides with useful information on what you should consider when applying for financial support and the relevant forms to apply.

Student loans: Terms and conditions 2016 - 2017

If you need to take out government loans during the academic year 2016 - 2017 to support your study at higher education institutions in Northern Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales, you need to know what you are committing to when you take out a loan, and it is important that you carefully read and understand this information.

2016 - 2017 full-time students

These guidebooks provide detailed information on all aspects of the financial support available during 2016 - 2017:

Applying for support

If you wish to apply for support you should complete the relevant forms.

New students

If you are a new student applying for support in 2016 - 2017, you should send in your passport as proof of identity. If you are not a passport holder, send in your Birth or Adoption Certificate, but also complete and return the Birth/Adoption Certificate form.

The Birth/Adoption Certificate form contains two separate declarations. The Applicant's Declaration of Identity must be signed by you to confirm your identity. The Identity Confirmation Form is to verify your identity and must be completed by a person of good standing in the community who has known you for at least two years.

Continuing students

If you are continuing in your studies you should complete the relevant forms.

Amending the amount of loan requested

If you have already applied for support and now wish to amend either the amount of Maintenance Loan or Tuition Fee Loan you have requested:

Change of circumstances

If your circumstances have changed in the last year then you need to complete the following form. A change of circumstance could be a change of name, address, bank details or that you have left or changed your course.

Part-time students

This guide provides detailed information on the financial support available to part-time students during 2015 - 2016 (2016 - 2017 Part-time forms and guide available in summer 2016):

If you wish to apply for part-time support you should complete the relevant forms.

Parents and carers of students

If you are supporting your child during their studies, you may require these forms:

These forms are for you to provide your financial information in support of your child's application (where it has not been provided on the main application form PN1):

Eligibility for financial help is assessed by your local authority on the basis of household income. You provide this information at the same time as your child makes their application.

Disabled Students' Allowances

If you have completed or are completing your application for Student Finance and you also want to apply for Disabled Students' Allowances, you should complete the slim version of the DSA1 form.

If you are applying for Disabled Students' Allowances only, or if you are a part-time student, a post graduate student or if you are studying your course by distance learning you must complete the full version of the DSA1 form.

Childcare Grant

Information on all aspects of financial support, including the Childcare Grant, for student parents:

Returning your completed forms

You should send your completed forms to your local Student Finance NI office

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback