Rivers and watercourses
Rivers Agency operates scheduled inspection and maintenance to help ensure that watercourses are free-flowing.
Discharging into watercourse - what to do?
If you expect to discharge into a watercourse, or intend to carry out works that will impact upon the free-flow of a watercourse, approval is required from Rivers Agency. In such cases you should contact the relevant Rivers Agency office on one of the numbers below, or by e-mail on:
The Lisburn office is responsible for Antrim, Ards, Banbridge, Ballymena, Belfast, Carrickfergus, Castlereagh, Down, Larne, Lisburn, Newtownabbey and North Down.
- Phone: 028 9260 6100
The Craigavon office is responsible for Armagh, Craigavon, Dungannon and Newry & Mourne.
- Phone: 028 3839 9111
The Omagh office is responsible for Cookstown, Magherafelt, Omagh and Strabane.
- Phone: 028 8225 4900
The Coleraine office is responsible for Ballymoney, Coleraine, Limavady, Londonderry and Moyle.
- Phone: 028 7034 2357
The Ballinamallard office is responsible for Fermanagh.
- Phone: 028 6638 8529
More useful links
- Dealing with emergencies (government, citizens and rights section)
- River Management leaflet - DARD website
- Application for discharge consent - DARD website
- Local Councils in Northern Ireland (contacts section)
- Support and safety in your home (leisure, home and community section)
- Department of Agriculture and Rural Development contact information - DARD website