Skip to content

The National Minimum Wage rates

The National Minimum Wage (NMW) is a minimum amount per hour that most workers in the UK are entitled to be paid. Find out what the current rates are and where to get help if you think you are being paid below the minimum wage rate.

Current NMW rates

There are different levels of NMW, depending on your age and whether you are an apprentice. The current rates are:

  • £6.50 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
  • £5.13 - the 18-20 rate
  • £3.79 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18
  • £2.73 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship

If you are of compulsory school age you are not entitled to the NMW. Some of your other employment rights are also different.

Pupils who become 16 between 2 July and 31 August (inclusive) in the school year, cannot leave school until 30 June of the following year.

Pupils who are 16 between 1 September and 1 July (inclusive) in the school year, can leave school on 30 June of that year.

Past NMW rates can be viewed on the Low Pay Commission website

Entitlement to the National Minimum Wage (NMW)

Most workers in the UK over compulsory school leaving age are legally entitled to be paid at least the NMW and all employers have to pay it to you if you are entitled to it. It makes no difference:

  • if you are paid weekly or monthly, by cheque, in cash or in another way
  • if you work full time, part time or any other working pattern
  • if you work at your employer’s own premises or elsewhere
  • what size your employer is
  • where you work in the UK

You are entitled to the NMW even if you sign a contract agreeing to be paid at a lower rate. This is regardless of whether you sign of your own free will or because your employer persuades or makes you. The contract will have no legal effect and you must still be paid the proper rate.

If you are not sure if you should be paid at least the NMW read the 'Workers entitled to the National Minimum Wage' and 'Who is not entitled to the National Minimum Wage' pages.

Where you can get help

The ACAS Helpline gives confidential help and advice on the NMW and can handle calls in over 100 languages. If you are not being paid the NMW you can make a complaint to them.

  • Telephone 0300 123 1100
  • Text relay service 18001 0300 123 1100

The phone lines are available Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm and Saturday from 9.00 am to 1.00 pm.

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) can provide free and impartial advice.

If you are a member of a trade union, you can get help, advice and support from them.

More useful links