Skip to content

Reporting child abuse and neglect

If you are worried about the safety or welfare of a child, it is important that you report it. Even if you’re not sure, it's always best to get your concerns checked out by professionals. The information below gives advice on what to do if you think a child may be in danger.

Who to contact

If you think that a child living in Northern Ireland is:

  • being abused
  • has been harmed in any way
  • is likely to suffer harm

you should contact the Gateway Services Teams for Children’s Social Work at the Health and Social Care (HSC) Trust in the area that the child lives.

You can also contact the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children's (NSPCC) free and confidential 24-hour helpline service on:

What you will be asked

You will be asked to provide information such as:

  • where the child lives
  • their personal or family details (if known)
  • who cares for them
  • the nature of your concerns

All calls relating to concerns about the safety of a child are taken seriously and treated in confidence. It is up to you if you wish to give your name or not.

Social Services will investigate your concerns and take appropriate action to make sure that the child is protected.

More useful links