Health and social care assessments
A health and social care assessment with the social services department of your local trust is often the first step towards getting the help and support you need. The assessment is also known as an 'assessment of need'.
The assessment and your care plan
At the assessment, a specialist - often an occupational therapist - looks at your individual needs and discusses them with you. This is so that the right support can be provided where necessary. Services you may need can include healthcare, equipment, help in your home and residential care.
The assessment should show which needs are most important. It should also show the risks to you if you were not given any help.
If necessary, local health and social services teams will put together a package of support for you. They will discuss this with you and write a care plan. This may include services from both private and voluntary organisations.
If you need other services such as housing or benefits advice, you will be put in touch with the relevant local services.
Services and support you may be entitled to
Services can include:
- home care help with things like cleaning and shopping
- disability equipment and adaptations to your home
- day centres to give you or the person who cares for you a break
- day care for your child if either you or they have a disability
- residential care or nursing homes
If you have been assessed as needing help from social services, you may be able to get direct payments to choose and buy those services yourself. Otherwise you can get the services directly from your health trust.
Most people's health and social care needs change over time. Your care plan should be reviewed regularly.
Reviews should take place at times or intervals specified in the care plan or at any other time deemed necessary.
If you would like to be reassessed because your needs have changed, contact your local trust.
- Belfast Health and Social Care Trust (contacts section)
- Northern Health and Social Care Trust (contacts section)
- Southern Health and Social Care Trust (contacts section)
- South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust (contacts section)
- Western Health and Social Care Trust (contacts section)
Care needs assessments where you live
You can find out about health and social care needs assessments in your area.