Income Support is extra money to help people on a low income. It’s for people who don't have to sign on as unemployed. Whether you qualify or not and how much you get depends on your circumstances.
You may be able to get Income Support if you meet all the specific conditions including:
- you and your partner have no income or a low income
- you’re working less than 16 hours a week
- you haven’t signed on as unemployed
You can claim Child Tax Credit if you claim Income Support and have children.
To qualify for Income Support you must be all of the following:
- between 16 and Pension Credit qualifying age
- pregnant, or a carer, or a lone parent with a child under 7 or, in some cases, unable to work because you’re sick or disabled
- you have no income or a low income (your partner’s income and savings will be taken into account)
- working less than 16 hours a week (and your partner works less than 24 hours a week)
- living in Northern Ireland
You don’t need a permanent address, e.g. you can still claim if you sleep rough or live in a hostel or care home.
You might still qualify if you do unpaid voluntary work or go on parental or paternity leave.
Also, you qualify if you’re age 19 or younger, in full-time secondary education (including A levels) and one of the following:
- a parent
- not living with a parent or someone acting as a parent
- a refugee learning English
You can also qualify up until the age of 21 if you’re one of the above, are orphaned or estranged from your parents and enrolled in education.
When you won’t qualify
You won’t usually qualify if you:
- have savings above £16,000
- need permission to enter the UK
- get Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance
- are a young person being looked after by a Health Trust.
- Income Support - how to claim and how much you can get
- Social Security / Jobs and Benefits Offices
Information in alternative languages
- Income Support fact sheet in Arabic (PDF 421 KB)
- Income Support rates fact sheet in Arabic (PDF 369 KB)
- Income Support fact sheet in Chinese (PDF 1.5 MB)
- Income Support rates fact sheet in Chinese
- Income Support fact sheet in Latvian (PDF 215 KB)
- Income Support rates fact sheet in Latvian (PDF 337 KB)
- Income Support fact sheet in Lithuanian (PDF 315 KB)
- Income Support rates fact sheet in Lithuanian (PDF 367 KB)
- Income Support fact sheet in Polish (PDF 199 KB)
- Income Support rates fact sheet in Polish (PDF 44 KB)
- Income Support fact sheet in Portuguese (PDF 640 KB)
- Income Support rates fact sheet in Portuguese (PDF 239 KB)
- Income Support fact sheet in Spanish (PDF 465 KB)
- Income Support rates fact sheet in Spanish (PDF 301 KB)
- Help with PDF files