Carer's Allowance - how to claim

If you give care to someone for at least 35 hours a week, you might be eligible for Carer's Allowance. You can make a claim online or use a downloadable form. Disability and Carers Service processes all claims for Carer's Allowance.

You can only use this service if you live in Northern Ireland. If you live in Great Britain, go to GOV.UK website

When to claim Carer's Allowance

You can claim if you look after someone who is getting or has recently been awarded:

  • Personal Independence Payment (at either rate of the daily living component)
  • Disability Living Allowance (at the middle or highest rate of the care component)
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate as an addition to Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the basic (full day) rate as an addition to a War Disablement Pension
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

Backdating a claim

If the person you look after already gets one of the benefits above, you must claim Carer’s Allowance straightaway. You can only make a backdated claim for a limited time. 

Making a late claim

You will lose benefit if you don’t claim Carer’s Allowance within three months of the decision to pay:

  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

How to claim Carer’s Allowance

To claim you can:

  • apply online
  • complete a paper claim form

To apply you will need:

  • your National Insurance number
  • the date of birth and address of the person you care for
  • your bank, building society or Post Office account details

You may need to give information about:

  • a course if you are studying
  • any employment including dates and how much you are, or were paid

Apply online

You can send an online application:

Completing a paper claim form

If you can’t apply online, you can use a paper claim form and apply by post.

To get a claim form:

Download a claim form

There are different forms to download depending on your age:

Claiming other benefits and entitlements 

If you qualify for Carer's Allowance, you may also be entitled to:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit

You can apply for these benefits or entitlements at the same time as you claim Carer's Allowance. If you want to claim extra money for a dependent adult, contact :

Appealing a decision about your claim

If you think a decision about your claim for Carer's Allowance is wrong, you can ask the Disability and Carers Service to explain. You can also ask them to reconsider their decision. If you're still unhappy with their decision, you can appeal in most cases. 

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback