Advice and help available if looking for work
Date published: 24 January 2018
Recent figures for December 2017 show the number of unemployment-related benefit claimants increased by 100 from the previous month’s figure. If you’re looking for a job, there is a wide range of advice on nidirect.
Develop your skills
From training programmes to careers guidance, including tips on writing your CV, you'll find useful practical information to help.
Whether you’re a school leaver or someone looking to return to work, developing your skills can help you to gain confidence and the skills you need to get the job you want.
From further education colleges and universities, to improving your essential skills like maths and computing, there are lots of courses and programmes available. Visit the following page to find out more:
If you’ve just left school or university, or maybe you’ve decided to change jobs, getting some careers advice can help you take that next step into employment.
Visit your local job centre
Advisors at your local job centre can give you lots of help and support if you are looking for work. They can:
- help you to develop the skills and competence to become employable, if you are not 'job-ready'
- match you to suitable job opportunities
- jointly administer Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support and Incapacity Benefit in Jobs and Benefits Offices
You can find your local job centre at this link:
Applying for jobs
Job hunting can be nerve-racking, but there are things you can do to get prepared:
- get your CV sorted and keep it up to date
- speak to the Careers Service or your local job centre
- read our advice on job application forms and interviews
You can find links below:
You’ll find more information on finding and applying for jobs on the following pages:
More useful links
- Employment support
- Training and learning for work
- Redundancy and leaving your job
- Labour Force Survey
- Stay safe when mixing slurry 16 February 2018
- Ice weather warning - information and advice 14 February 2018
- Check for hallmark before buying precious metal jewellery 13 February 2018
- Heavy rain warning - flooding advice and information 10 February 2018
Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback