Transport and travel - Brexit information

The UK is preparing to leave the European Union. There are two main options for leaving: with a ‘withdrawal agreement’ and a period of time to put necessary arrangements in place; or without an agreed deal. A ‘no-deal’ Brexit may affect how you travel to and from EU countries.


Whether you're travelling by air, sea, road or rail, services to EU countries are expected to continue as normal, however you may need different documents to travel.


If you're planning to drive in the EU after Brexit, you may need to apply for and carry an International Driving Permit.

You may need to apply for a Green Card to prove you have third party insurance if you're driving in the EU,  EEA countries (Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway), and Andorra, Serbia or Switzerland.


Passengers on cross-border rail services between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland will continue to be protected by the EU regulation on rail passengers’ rights, which will be brought into UK law.

Pet travel

If you're travelling to an EU country after EU exit and planning on taking your pet, there may be changes that affect you.

You should contact your vet at least four months before travelling to get the necessary paperwork.

Bus and coach

After the UK leaves the EU, bus and coach drivers from the UK may need extra documents to drive in the EU and EEA.


If you're travelling in Europe as haulier after EU exit, there may be changes to the rules on licences, permits and qualifications which apply to you.

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.