A four-week intensive training course for Trainee Commis Chefs is now available under the Bridge to Employment programme.
The training course will introduce you to the basic skills you need to work as a Trainee Commis Chef, including:
- food safety
- food preparation, including knife skills
- food storage
- health and safety awareness,
- an introduction to the hospitality industry
- an introduction to kitchen equipment
- kitchen etiquette
Training will be based at South Eastern Regional College in Bangor.
When in training you:
- will keep your benefits
- may be eligible for child care allowance
- will be reimbursed weekly travel expenses, limited to the cheapest cost of using public transport
Jobs are available with:
- the Ava Group
- Romas Bar and Bistro
- Underground Dining
- The Boathouse
- The Salty Dog
- Harbour and Company
If you successfully finish the training, you will be interviewed for a permanent job by each company listed above.
If you're offered a job, the following conditions will apply.
To work as a member of a busy kitchen, working consistently at a high quality on time with a high level of customer service both to internal and external customers, whilst complying with Health and Safety legislation.
Hours of work
Hours are dependent on the business needs and will include working shifts, evenings, weekends and public holidays.
Wages, holidays and benefits
National Living Wage dependent on age.
Pro-rata industry standard - about 28 days per year.
Who is eligible
Previous experience is not needed but you should meet the following criteria:
- be 18 years old, unemployed or working less than 16 hours per week
- be flexible
- be motivated with a can-do attitude
- be willing to work as part of a team
- carry out tasks quickly and competently
- follow instructions
- have an interest in preparing food
- keep calm under pressure
- work on your own and use your initiative
If short listing is needed, an aptitude test and the following desirable criteria may be used to select applicants for interview.
- previous experience of working in a professional kitchen
How to apply
Apply online on jobcentreonline.
Application forms are also available from your local Jobs and Benefits Office.
Completed forms must be returned to any Jobs and Benefits Office before 4.00 pm on 21 February.
You will need to include the reference no 1409800 on your application form.
If you wish to take part in the training, the following dates are important:
For more information on this opportunity or the Bridge to Employment programme, contact the Department for the Economy – Bridge to Employment.
All of the hospitality businesses taking part in the programme are equal opportunities employers and welcome applications from all sections of the community.