A five-week intensive training course for Trainee Commis Chefs is now available under the Bridge to Employment programme.
The training course will introduce you to the basic skills you need to work as a Trainee Commis Chef, including:
- food safety
- food preparation
- food storage
- health and safety awareness,
- an introduction to the hospitality industry
- an introduction to kitchen equipment
- kitchen etiquette
If you successfully complete the training, you'll receive:
- City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Customer Service
- City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Food Safety
- Level 2 Award in Understanding Food Allergens
Training will be based at North West Regional College, Limavady Campus.
When in training you:
- will keep your benefits
- may be eligible for child care allowance
- will be reimbursed weekly travel expenses, limited to the cheapest cost of using public transport
The training programme has been developed by:
- Department for the Economy
- a consortium of North West based hospitality businesses (Adelphi Hotel, Lodge Hotel, Moran’s Retail Ltd, Portrush Atlantic, Roe Park Resort, and Ulster Stores Ltd,)
- North West Regional College
- Causeway Chambers
If you successfully finish the training, you will be interviewed for a permanent job by each of the hospitality businesses listed above.
Who is eligible
You don't need any previous experience but you should meet the following criteria:
- have an interest in preparing food
- be motivated with a can-do attitude
- be willing to work as part of a team
- be flexible
- carry out tasks quickly and competently
- follow instructions
- remain calm under pressure
- work on your own and use your initiative
In the event that shortlisting is needed, an aptitude test and the following desirable criteria may be used to select applicants for interview.
Previous experience of working in a professional kitchen is desireable.
The selection process for a training place will include an information day and an interview.
How to apply
To apply online you must have a jobcentre online account. After you have logged in to your account, you can apply for the training at:
Application forms are also available from your local Jobs and Benefits Office.
Completed forms must be returned to any Jobs and Benefits Office before 4.00 pm on 3 May.
You will need to include the reference no 1416921 on your application form.
CVs will not be accepted.
If you wish to take part in the training, the following dates are important:
Information day and interviews
If you successfully complete the training, you will be interviewed for a job with the hospitality companies above.
Hours of work
Hours are dependent on the business needs and will include working shifts, evenings, weekends and public holidays.
National Living Wage dependent on age.
You may be entitled to Universal Credit. For more information contact:
For more information on this opportunity or the Bridge to Employment programme, contact the Department for the Economy – Bridge to Employment.
Applications are welcome from those who meet the criteria, irrespective of religious belief, political opinion, age, sexual orientation, disability, race, marital status, gender, whether or not they have dependents and women returning to work.