Details of the scam
Criminals sent an email to a member of the public, claiming to be from Amazon, asking him to send his bank details. He gave his bank details and on realising this was a scam immediately cancelled his card.
He then received an email from who he thought was Santander saying there was suspicious activity on his account. The email advised him to send all of his funds ,which totalled £5500, to a new safer account. This account was owned by the criminals.
How to avoid being scammed
- always exercise caution when contacted out of the blue
- protect your personal information
- don't be tricked into giving a fraudster access to your personal or financial details no matter who they say they are
What to do if you're concerned
If you have been affected by this scam, or any other type of fraud, report it:
- to the police by phoning 101
- to Action Fraud online(external link opens in a new window / tab)
- by phoning 0300 123 2040