Internet terms and language: a guide for parents

Although there’s lots of information available about the dangers of the internet, the language can be confusing if you aren’t familiar with it. This guide will help you understand the basic terms used when talking about online chatting, potential dangers, scams and viruses.

Where your child will chat/communicate

The internet lets users chat with friends and family in interactive ‘virtual’ communities. These communities are increasingly popular with children because they allow them to communicate in ‘real time’.

‘Real time’ means their contributions (or ‘posts’) are displayed immediately, for example in an online chat. However, not all virtual communities will be moderated or supervised. The following are examples of sites your child may use to chat with others online:

  • chat rooms are ‘virtual’ rooms where users can ‘talk’ with each other by typing, either one-on-one or involving a number of people
  • forums are online discussion groups - these discussions can take place in real time or over a longer period (users can continue to add comments)
  • blogs are like online diaries - the ‘blogger’ publishes comments and discussions and readers can also add their views (blog is short for ‘web log’)
  • instant messaging services (which look like small pop-up windows) let users see when people on their ‘friends list’ are online and send messages to them
  • social networking sites are online communities of people - users have a number of different ways of communicating with each other

Online dangers you need to be aware of

The internet can be fun and useful but you and your child need to know the risks too. Making sure your child knows the online dangers is just as important as teaching them to cross the road safely.


Unfortunately, some adults with a sexual interest in children will use the internet to communicate with them. Online grooming is when a suspected paedophile behaves in a way that suggests they are trying to contact children for illegal purposes.

By blocking access to unsupervised chat rooms, blogs and forums, you and your child can help stop people they don’t know from communicating with them.

Sometimes, though, offenders pretend to be children themselves to start online conversations with real children. They might then try to continue the relationship in personal conversations on mobile phones (sometimes known as whispering).

Once they have established some trust, the offender may try to organise a meeting with the child. This may take weeks, months or even years.

As part of the grooming process, the offender might also try to exploit them by sending them indecent or pornographic images. This might be by email or sometimes by using a webcam (a camera connected to a computer which can produce still pictures and video footage).

The offender may even use blackmail to persuade the child to do something they don't want to. It is vital your child knows that not everyone on the internet is who they claim to be. It’s also important both you and your child report anything suspicious.

Cyberbullying and cyberstalking

Cyberbullying is bullying using digital technologies like computers and mobile phones. If someone is stalking someone else over the internet it’s known as cyberstalking.

Reporting suspected grooming or cyberbullying

You and your child can report any suspicious, threatening or offensive behaviour to the Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP) centre.

Viruses and scams

There are a number of potential hazards you and your child could come across while using the internet. Some are irritating while others can have more serious effects:

  • viruses are ‘infections’ in your computer which can potentially destroy all of your files and operating system
  • trojan horses are programs that can enter your computer, access files and then pass on your personal information
  • ‘spam’ is junk email messages sent to many people without their consent, usually promoting a product or service
  • ‘spamming’ is sending spam using instant messaging
  • ‘malware’, short for ‘malicious software’, is created to damage a computer system
  • ‘pharming’ is when scammers try to get personal or private information from users by directing them to false or ‘spoof’ - websites
  • ‘spyware’ is a general term for a program that secretly monitors what you're doing online
  • ‘phishing’ is emailing users and pretending to be genuine organisations to steal information for identity theft

Protecting your child online

It is impossible to be completely protected while using the internet. However, you can take simple steps to reduce the risks.

You should always set the parental controls on the computer or mobile phone. These are easily set up and you can check the equipment’s user manual or the manufacturer's website to see what controls you have access to. The controls will let you block troublesome email senders or access to certain websites.

More useful links

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.