Holidaying in Europe - Brexit information

The UK is preparing to leave the European Union. There are two main options for leaving: with a ‘withdrawal agreement’ and a period of time to put necessary arrangements in place; or without an agreed deal. If you’re planning on holidaying in Europe, your plans may be impacted after Brexit.

Visiting Europe

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal the rules for UK passports, driving, European Health Insurance Cards, pet travel and more could change.


The UK government and European Commission say flights between the UK and the EU will continue after Brexit, no matter what happens.

If there is no deal, passenger security screening requirements for all direct passenger flights to and from the UK will stay as they are today.


If the UK leaves the EU in a 'no-deal' situation, the rules for travel to most countries in Europe will change for UK passport holders.

If you travel to an EU country after Brexit, you should have at least six months left on your passport from the date you arrived.

Irish passports

If you have an Irish passport and you are travelling to other countries within the European Union your Irish passport remains valid up to your return date.

Travel Insurance and EHIC

It is important to take out travel insurance before travelling abroad as it is your responsibility to make sure you can cover the costs of medical treatment.

If the UK leaves the EU with no deal it's important to check the small print to make sure your travel insurance covers your healthcare needs.

Mobile roaming

You can currently travel in the EU with free mobile roaming. If there is no deal, this can no longer be guaranteed and the cost of mobile roaming would be a commercial decision for the mobile operators.


If you're planning to go on holiday and travelling by air, sea, coach or rail your legal rights as a passenger will stay the same.


If you have a timeshare in the EU, information is available on how you might be affected after the UK leaves the EU.

Common Travel Area

The existing Common Travel Area (CTA) between the UK and Ireland will continue. If you're an Irish citizen living in the UK or a British citizen living in Ireland you can continue to travel freely within the CTA.

Pet travel

If you're travelling to an EU country after EU exit and planning on taking your pet, there may be changes that affect you.

You should contact your vet at least four months before travelling to get the necessary paperwork.


Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.