A six-week intensive training course for a gas network operative is now available under the Bridge to Employment programme.
The training course will introduce you to the basic skills needed to work as a gas network operative and will include:
- an introduction to gas network operations
- health and safety awareness
- working in the public highway
- distribution engineering techniques
- understanding utility cable prints and associated paperwork
- excavation, backfill and reinstatement techniques
The training programme has been developed by the Department for the Economy and KIER.
Training will be based at KIER (address below) and on-site at various locations across Northern Ireland.KIER
51 Hydepark Road
When in training you:
- will retain your benefits
- may be eligible for child care allowance
- will be reimbursed weekly travel expenses, limited to the cheapest cost of using public transport
If you successfully finish the training, you will be interviewed for a permanent job.
Who is eligible
Previous experience is not needed but you should meet the following criteria:
- be numerate and literate
- have a mechanical aptitude
- have a full driving licence (applicants with up to 3 penalty points on their licence may be considered)
- be capable of undertaking outdoor work of a physically demanding nature
- be willing to work in all weathers
- have previous experience in utility works or building works
- have previous experience in physically demanding work and/or working outdoors
If shortlisting is needed, the desirable criteria above may be used to select applicants for interview.
The selection process for a training place will include an information day and an interview.
How to apply
To apply, go to:
Application forms are also available from your local Jobs and Benefits Office.
Completed forms must be returned to any Jobs and Benefits Office before:
- 4.00 pm on Thursday 28 June
You must include the reference number 1379585 on your application form.
If you wish to take part in the training, the following dates are important:
|28 June||Applications close|
|24 July||Information day|
|6 August||Training starts|
|14 September||Training ends|
If you successfully complete the training, you will be interviewed for a job with KIER.
Your duties as a gas network operative will involve laying gas pipelines and services to private households, commercial and industrial premises.
Hours of work
You will be asked to work 45 hours per week. There may be extra overtime at weekends and out of normal working hours available. Weekend work is on a rota basis and normally notified in advance, however due to operational needs, this can also be at short notice.
Wages, holidays and benefits
Starting pay after training will be dependant on the role offered.
If you successfully complete the QCF Level 1 in National Construction Operations (Gas) (approximately 6 weeks) you will be qualified to work in a team where there is potential to earn substantial bonuses.
You may be entitled to Working Tax Credit. For information and advice, contact:
You will receive 28 days holidays (including bank and public holidays).
KIER are the sole Gas Distribution Contractor in Northern Ireland. They have laid 5,000 km of gas mains and installed approximately 300,000 customer connections.
For more information on this opportunity or the Bridge to Employment programme, contact the Department for the Economy – Bridge to Employment.
Applications are welcome from those who meet the criteria, irrespective of religious belief, political opinion, age, sexual orientation, disability, race, marital status, gender, whether or not they have dependents and women returning to work.