Education - Brexit information

The UK is preparing to leave the European Union. There are two main options for leaving: with a ‘withdrawal agreement’ and a period of time to put necessary arrangements in place; or without an agreed deal. With or without a deal, education and childcare will continue to operate as normal.

Pupils from the Republic of Ireland attending school in NI

Children living on one side of the border are able to access an education on the other side of the border. 

On the impact of Brexit, the Common Travel Area provides citizens of the UK and Republic of Ireland with the right to access services, including education, in the other jurisdiction.

Further information on what impact Brexit may have on education in Northern Ireland is available on the Department of Education website.

Studying in the European Union after Brexit

Advice for students and citizens who want to start or continue higher education study in any European Union (EU) country after the UK leaves the EU is available at this link:

EU nationals studying in Northern Ireland

If you’re an EU student, doing a higher education course in Northern Ireland, and assessed as eligible to get loans and grants from Student Finance NI, you’ll continue to do so until you finish your course.

More information is available at:

Students returning to the UK after living in the EU, EEA or Switzerland

UK nationals, previously ordinarily resident in Northern Ireland, who are living in the EU, EEA or Switzerland, who wish to study in Northern Ireland, will continue to be eligible for home fee status and student support for a seven-year transition period after the date of the UK’s exit from the European Union. 

More information is available at:

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.