Details of the scam
Criminals have contacted numerous members of the public saying they have hacked into their computers.
The criminals often have pictures taken from a webcam and a list of the member of their passwords.
It is also common for the criminals to claim that they have affected the computer with a Trojan virus.
A ransom reward then follows often in the cryptocurrency bitcoin.
How to avoid being scammed
- make sure your computer has up-to-date antivirus software
- change passwords regularly
- don't use the same password
- try to make your password complex by using a mixture of upper and lower case letters, symbols and numbers
- never pay the ransom – contact police
What to do if you're concerned
If you have been affected by this, or any other type of fraud, report it:
- to the police by calling 101
- to Action Fraud online
- by calling 0300 123 2040