Coronavirus (COVID-19): regulations and localised restrictions

Following an increase in coronavirus (COVID-19) cases, additional restrictions have been introduced for people living in certain areas. These are aimed at limiting the chances for the virus to spread between households. This page contains information on what you can and cannot do if you live in an affected area.

Areas with local restrictions

The NI Executive announced on 10 September 2020 that additional restrictions were being introduced for people living in certain areas.

Postcode areas may be added and removed from the local restrictions as the patterns of infection change, and further interventions and restrictions could be added as necessary.

There is an interactive map at this link showing which postcodes are restricted:

A full list of postcodes is available on the Department of Health website.


The regulations are available on the Department of Health website:

What are the restrictions?

The restrictions mainly relate to household gatherings:

  • no mixing of households in private dwellings, with exemptions for:
    • bubbling with one other household
    • caring responsibilities including childcare
    • essential maintenance
    • supported living arrangements
    • visits required for legal or medical purposes
    • marriage or civil partnership ceremony in a private dwelling where one partner is terminally ill
  • no more than six people to gather in a private garden from no more than two households

Is there also guidance about travel, visits to hospitals and care homes?

That’s correct. Everything apart from household mixing is covered by guidance not regulation.

Anyone living in these areas is asked to be very mindful of the risks of spreading the virus by travel. That includes, wherever possible, avoid travelling outside your area for indoor household visits.

If you feel you need to travel outside your area for any other reason, satisfy yourself that it can be done in a safe and socially distanced fashion. Don’t put yourself or others at risk.

In addition, care homes and hospitals in these areas will be advised to significantly curtail visits as soon as practicable. One member of a family will be permitted a visit once a week while these localised restrictions apply. More frequent visits may be permitted in exceptional circumstances, including palliative care facilities and those receiving end of life care.

What should older and medically vulnerable people do?

Medically vulnerable and older people living in these areas are asked to be particularly careful in following the advice on limiting household contacts, social distancing, hand washing and wearing a face covering, given the local levels of Covid-19.

We are not reintroducing guidance to shield at this time - shielding remains paused.

Why is the Executive doing this?

This is about stopping the spread of Covid-19 and saving lives. Positive cases are rising in Northern Ireland, particularly in these areas.

The virus spreads when people are in contact. This an attempt to reduce contacts.

While Covid-related hospital admissions are low at present, it is believed these will rise as the growing infection rates increasingly spread into older and more vulnerable sections of our community.

Sadly, we have already seen the catastrophic consequences when the virus gets into care homes and hospital wards.

I live in one of these affected areas, am I effectively in lockdown?

No, this is not a lockdown. Let’s be very clear about that. The new restrictions are focused on reducing contacts between people in household settings. That’s what the regulations will deal with.

Anything else is for guidance only.

When it comes to issues like travel, socialising outside of the home, work, shopping, attending weddings or other functions, people should use their discretion and common sense. Continue to work from home if you can. Ask yourself how important a journey or other planned activity is to you. How much additional risk would it bring to you or others? How difficult would it be to maintain social distancing?

Remember that positive tests are particularly high in your area and bear that in mind in relation to everything you do. Be really careful and keep yourself and others safe. Maintain social distancing, wash your hands and wear a face covering when required.

We all have to try to strike the right balance in our daily lives as we continue to manage and mitigate the Covid-19 risks.

So can people leave a restricted area – or travel into one – for work, to go shopping, eat in a restaurant etc?

Yes. This will still be permitted under the new regulations. If you have to travel for work purposes into or out of these areas, then do so. Likewise, businesses in these areas are still open for business. This not a lockdown. We’re just asking people to be ultra-careful and always be mindful of the Covid rates in particular areas. Ask yourself how important a planned activity is to you.

So I can meet people in a pub or restaurant but not in my own home?

The restrictions are about reducing interactions between people. Reducing household contacts is viewed by the Executive as the most effective way to achieve that at this time.

Hospitality businesses will continue to be subject to strict guidance, regulation and appropriate enforcement where necessary.

What about work and services carried out in private homes?

Workers, builders, trades people and other professionals can continue to go into people’s houses to carry out work such as repairs, installations and deliveries. 

People who run a business from their own home can continue to carry out their work with appropriate safety measures in place. Any visits should be risk-assessed and in line with relevant guidance.

By focussing new restrictions on households rather than businesses, is this not putting the economy ahead of health?

In common with other administrations, the Executive is seeking to protect both public health and the local economy. This is a difficult challenge and there are no easy options.

It should always be remembered that unemployment, poverty and economic deprivation have serious consequences for people’s physical and mental health.

Will these restrictions not be bad for business in the areas affected?

Covid-19 is bad for business. Rapidly rising rates of infection are very bad for business and for employees. The Executive is bringing in restrictions now to try to slow and stop a worrying increase in cases.

If we can get back on top of the situation, we can avoid more drastic actions down the line. Doing nothing would be really bad for business.

Are schools going to close in the areas covered by restrictions?

No. Keeping schools open is a major priority for the Executive. Introducing restrictions in other areas of life can help protect schools and keep them open.

Are other education settings affected?

Higher and further education, and early learning/ childcare settings are not affected by these measures.

I don’t live in an affected area, so I can just ignore all this?

No – the restrictions will be kept under constant review and areas can be added or removed from the list, depending on their Covid rates.

Everyone has to keep playing their part and strictly follow public health advice, whether you live in these areas or not. Covid-19 rates of infection can increase rapidly and with catastrophic consequences.

You must continue to follow the general advice that applies to the whole of Northern Ireland.

Why did the Executive not just apply the restrictions to the whole of Northern Ireland?

The Executive had that option. However, there is a marked variation in the incidence of cases in different localities across Northern Ireland.  A targeted approach is more proportionate and keeps disruption to a minimum.

It is also hoped that a geographically targeted approach will help create a clear incentive for widespread compliance with public health advice.

What about children whose parents do not live in the same household?

Children whose parents do not live in the same household can move between homes as normal.

Places of worship, marriages, civil partnerships and funerals

No changes have been made to the operation of places of worship.

Marriages and civil partnerships can continue to take place, in line with the current restrictions.

What are the penalties for not following the regulations?

Action will be taken against those that break these rules, including asking people to disperse and issuing fixed penalty notices.

The current penalties are:

  • a fixed penalty notice of £60.00 (reduced to £30.00 if paid within 14 days)
  • for subsequent offences the fixed penalty will double each time up to a maximum of £960
  • if court proceedings are taken, the fine available on summary conviction is up to £5,000 (level five on the standard scale)

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.