Schools in Northern Ireland are now closed to the majority of pupils until further notice.
Vulnerable children and children of key workers
A small number of schools will remain open for the educational supervision of vulnerable children and those of key workers up to Year 10 where alternative arrangements cannot be secured.
A list of schools that are remaining open is available at the link below.
If a child’s normal school is not open, a key worker can request supervised learning for their child in a school that is available from the list above. Further information and the relevant request form can be found on the Education Authority website.
The latest information in relation to the impact of COVID-19 (coronavirus) on education services is available on the Department of Education website.
Free school meals
Arrangements have been put in place to ensure families who normally receive free school meals do not suffer financial hardship while schools are closed. More information can be found at the following link:
There is guidance for pupils, students, staff and parents or carers regarding:
- coronavirus (COVID-19)
- how to help prevent spread of all respiratory infections including COVID-19
- what to do if someone confirmed or suspected to have COVID-19 has been in a school or other educational setting
- what advice to give to individuals who have travelled from specified countries or areas within the last 14 days, including school trip
For more information on this visit the Department of Education website.
Latest updates for Further Education Colleges in Northern Ireland
All six Further Education Colleges in Northern Ireland have suspended all face-to-face teaching activities until further notice. For the latest coronavirus updates follow the links below:
- Belfast Metropolitan College
- Northern Regional College
- North West Regional College
- South East Regional College
- Southern Regional College
- South West Regional College
Latest updates for universities in Northern Ireland
All five higher education institutions in Northern Ireland are now closed for teaching activities. For the latest coronavirus updates follow the links below:
- Queen’s University Belfast
- Ulster University
- Stranmillis University College
- St Mary's University College Belfast
- The Open University
Student accommodation at the institutions remain fully operational for students who wish to remain there.
Queen's University students who wish to return home can terminate their university accommodation contracts from 27 March 2020 with no financial penalty.
Ulster University students can be released from their university accommodation contracts from 3 April 2020 without financial penalty.
Advice for overseas students
For the latest advice for students currently studying or working on overseas or Erasmus+ placements or considering taking up overseas placements follow the links below: