Carer's Allowance - how to claim

If you're giving care to someone for at least 35 hours a week, you might be eligible for Carer's Allowance. You can make a claim online or use a downloadable form. Disability and Carers Service processes all claims for Carer's Allowance.

You can only use this service if you live in Northern Ireland. If you live in Great Britain you will need to visit GOV.UK website

When to claim Carer's Allowance

You can claim if you look after someone who is getting or has recently been awarded:

  • Personal Independence Payment (at either rate of the daily living component)
  • Disability Living Allowance (at the middle or highest rate of the care component)
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate as an addition to Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the basic (full day) rate as an addition to a War Disablement Pension
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

If the person you look after already gets one of the benefits above, you must claim Carer’s Allowance straightaway as entitlement can only be backdated for a limited period.

If you do not claim within three months of the decision to pay Personal Independence Payment, Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance, Constant Attendance Allowance or Armed Forces Independence Payment, you will lose benefit.

How to claim Carer’s Allowance

To claim you can either apply online or complete a paper claim form.

Before you apply you will need:

  • your National Insurance number
  • the date of birth and address of the person you’re caring for
  • your bank, building society or Post Office account details

You may need to provide course details if you are studying, and any employment details including dates and how much you are, or were paid.

Apply online

You can complete and send a claim form using the online service:

If you don’t do anything for more than 90 minutes, the application will reset. You’ll have to restart your application.

Completing a paper claim form

If you can’t apply online you can complete a paper claim form and apply by post.

To get a claim form:

Download a claim form

There are two forms available to download: a shortened version DS700 (SP) if you are receiving State Pension, or DS700 if you are under State Pension age.

Notes to help you complete the forms are also available.

Claiming other benefits and entitlements at the same time

If you qualify for Carer's Allowance, you may also be entitled to:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit

You may wish to claim some of these benefits or entitlements at the same time as you claim Carer's Allowance.

If you want to claim extra money for a dependent adult, contact Disability and Carers Service.

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback