Until negotiations with the EU finish, there will be some areas without complete certainty, but full guidance will be provided as soon as possible.
How to prepare
There are practical steps which business can take to prepare for the new rules that will came into effect on 1 January 2021.
- use Invest NI’s EU Exit Resilience online assessment tool to check your level of business readiness
- sign up for the UK Government’s free Trader Support Service
- sign up for gov.uk updates on transition arrangements
Advice and support
Invest NI offers a range of support services to companies, including:
- information workshops
- an online assessment tool
- a Brexit preparation grant
- online tutorials which provide access to specialist advisers in people movement and immigration, preparing your data for EU Exit, and VAT implications
Find out more information at these links:
InterTradeIreland’s Brexit Advisory Service provides financial support and professional support on customs, supply chain, rules of origin with online learning supplemented by specialist webinars aimed at the cross-border market.
More information from the UK government is available at this link:
Information and support for NI businesses making, selling or distributing chemicals is available from the Health and Safety Executive NI.
Trader Support Service
At the end of the transition period, when the Northern Ireland Protocol comes into force, there will be changes to the way goods move between Great Britain and NI.
The UK government has launched a Trader Support Service to help businesses affected by this. It can help you if you:
- move goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or bring goods into NI from outside the UK
- act on behalf of someone to move goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or bring goods into NI from outside the UK
- are based in Northern Ireland and receive goods from outside of NI
- send parcels between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or bring parcels into NI from outside the UK, using Royal Mail or an express operator
The Trader Support Service will be free to use and will guide you through any changes to the way goods move between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and into NI from outside the UK.
It can help if you:
- are moving the goods yourself
- act on behalf of someone
- send parcels between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or bring parcels into Northern Ireland from outside the UK
You can sign up now using the Trader Support Service website.