Details of the scam
A member of the public was on holiday when they received a text message from criminals claiming to be from Danske Bank.
The text message stated that some of their bank account features had been disabled and asked them to phone a 0333 number to fix the problem.
Once they phoned the number they were allegedly put through to the ‘Danske Bank Fraud Team’ where they were asked a series of questions including security questions and bank account number.
The person then checked their bank account and £67,000 had been taken from two accounts.
What you should do
To avoid being the victim of a scam:
- always exercise caution when contacted out of the blue
- protect your personal information
- if you are at all suspicious about a call you receive, hang up and phone the organisation that the person is claiming to be from on a number you know
- never give account numbers out over the phone, by text or email
If you have received a text or call of this kind, report it:
- online to Action Fraud
- telephone 0300 123 2040
- call police on the non-emergency number 101