Claiming by telephone
To claim by telephone, contact the Winter Fuel Payment Centre.
If you apply by telephone, the Winter Fuel Payment Centre will ask you:
- your date of birth
- your National Insurance Number
- your bank or building society account number (if you’re using an account in the EEA or Switzerland, you’ll need the account’s BIC and IBAN numbers)
- the date you married or entered into a civil partnership
Claiming by post
Completed application forms should be send to:Winter Fuel Payment Centre
Mail Handling Site A
Your form must be received by 31 March 2018.
You will get a letter telling you how much Winter Fuel Payment you will receive and when this will be paid.
If your payment is incorrect
Check payment information on the following page:
If you’re claiming for the first time and the information in your application form is incorrect, you should contact the Winter Fuel Payment Centre.
Who needs to claim
If you're eligible for Winter Fuel Payment and already receive certain benefits, you don't need to claim and should receive an automatic payment.
You need to claim Winter Fuel Payment if:
- you qualify by age
- you only receive Housing Benefit or Child Benefit
but don't receive:
- State Pension
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Jobseeker’s Allowance
- State Pension Credit
- Attendance Allowance
- Bereavement Benefit
- Carer’s Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance
- Graduated Retirement Benefit
- Incapacity Benefit
- Industrial Injuries Benefits
- Personal Independence Payment
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- War Pension
- Widow’s Benefit
You need to claim even if your partner is already receiving a Winter Fuel Payment for your household.
If you've received Winter Fuel Payment before
If you previously received a Winter Fuel Payment and there has been no change in your circumstances, you don't need to apply.
You do need to apply if you received Winter Fuel Payment before but your circumstances have changed, for example, you stopped receiving any of the benefits above or deferred your State Pension.
For more information on what to do if there has been a change in your situation, see Winter Fuel Payment - if there's a change in your circumstances.