Details of the scam
Criminals have used online market places to sell fridges and freezers.
Once the fridge or freezer is delivered, the buyer is being advised not to turn the fridge or freezer on for 24 hours to allow the gases to settle.
Once the appliance is turned on, it becomes clear that it is defective.
Any attempts to contact the original seller are in vain.
How to avoid being scammed
- don’t assume a seller is authentic - just because they are members of a website doesn’t mean they are legitimate
- always test goods when the delivery is received
- stay in control: have the confidence to refuse goods if they are not as described
- often online market places have seller reviews, pay attention to these and be suspicious of poor reviews
- if something feels wrong, it probably is
What to do if you're concerned
If you have been affected by this scam, or any other type of fraud, report it:
- to the police by calling 101
- to Action Fraud online
- by calling 0300 123 2040.