Skip to content

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - rates and how to claim

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) will be paid at different rates based upon your individual circumstances, the impact of the disability or health condition, and the extent to which you are able to live independently.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) rates

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) will not be introduced in Northern Ireland until the Welfare Reform Bill becomes law in Northern Ireland.

Upon its introduction, PIP will have two parts or components: the daily living and the mobility components. Payment will be made up of one or both of these components. Each component will have two rates: Standard and Enhanced.

The PIP rates presently are:

Daily living component Weekly rate
Enhanced rate £81.30 (equal in value to highest rate of DLA Care Component)
Standard rate £54.45 (equal in value to middle rate of DLA Care Component)

Mobility component Weekly rate
Enhanced rate £56.75 (equal in value to higher rate of DLA mobility component)
Standard rate £21.55 (equal in value to lower rate of DLA mobility component)

These rates will change again in April 2015.

How to claim

When PIP is introduced, you can make a new claim by phoning the Social Security Agency (SSA),when an 0800 number will be available. Until then you should continue to submit claims for DLA in the normal way.

You will be asked to provide a few details to get your claim started:

  • your personal and contact details
  • relevant periods spent in hospital or residential care
  • are you claiming under the special rules for the terminally ill?
  • your bank details
  • do you have any specific communication needs, such as alternative formats, or require additional support to complete your claim?

It can help speed up your claim if you have this information ready before calling.

If you are unable to make the phone call yourself you can ask a family member or someone who supports you to act on your behalf. You will need to be with them when they phone and you will need to pass a quick identity check.

For those customers who are unable to make an initial claim by phone you can contact PIP by textphone or in writing to request a paper claim form.

You can also visit your local Social Security / Jobs and Benefits office and ask a staff member to ring the PIP team on your behalf.

When will your claim start?

The start date of your claim will be set at the point of the phone call. If you delay making a claim, you may lose out on benefit.

The information you provide during the call will allow the SSA customer advisor to check if you meet the basic eligibility conditions.

If you do not meet the basic eligibility conditions you will be asked to provide further evidence or you will receive a disallowance letter.

If you request a form from PIP or your local Social Security/Jobs and Benefits office, the date of request will be treated as your date of claim from which PIP can be paid, as long as the form you receive is returned within one calendar month of that date.

Telling your story

A ‘How your disability affects you’ form will then be posted out to you. The form will be addressed to you and will contain a bar code unique to your claim that will speed up processing times. You will also receive a guide on how to complete the form.

The form will ask you to explain how your condition affects you in your daily life. If you have a variable condition that affects you in different ways on good and bad days you will be able to use the form to explain.

You can ask someone, such as a family member or customer representative group, to help you complete the form. Any additional evidence you have to help support your claim can be returned with this form.

You will receive a freepost envelope along with the form, which you can use to return your form and any supporting evidence to the SSA.

What happens next?

Once you have completed the claim form ‘Telling Your Story’, and returned it to the SSA, the information will be passed to a health professional.

The health professional will decide if there is a need for any further evidence and will make all the arrangements to get this.