Check can your child get free school meals
With the new school year beginning, have you checked to see if your child is entitled to free lunches? There are conditions you have to meet. Children at independent schools are now eligible to receive free school meals too. You can get more details on how to apply for free school lunches on nidirect.
Receiving benefits or tax credits
For your child to get free school meals, you must be receiving certain benefits, tax credits or pension credit. Free meals are available to any full-time student who is still at school and eligible. This includes nursery children who attend full days and also sixth form students. Meals are not available for students at further education level.
You can find out more at the page below:
Contact your local education and library board
The free school meals scheme is administered by your local education and library board. To apply for free school meals, you should contact your local education board for information about application procedures.
More useful links
- Pension credit and free school meals (pensions and retirement planning section)
- School life (parents section)
- Healthy eating for children (health and well-being section)
- Healthy eating for teenagers (health and well-being section)
- Schools, learning and development (parents section)
- Eat well (health and well-being section)