Belfast city centre roadworks advice for motorists
Car drivers are being advised to allow extra time for their journeys in Belfast city centre from the end of this month as improvements works continue to the road network. The work, which begins again on 28 January, is designed to give higher priority to public transport, pedestrians and cyclists rather than the private car.
Avoiding undue delays
Measures are being taken to minimise disruption. Work is scheduled to be carried out at off-peak times to avoid undue delay to commuter traffic; and resurfacing will be carried out at weekends and overnight where possible.
Normal access to the city centre, including car parks, shops and other premises, will be maintained at all times. Electronic signs will be in place at a number of key points to advise of the works and possible delays.
The works are as follows:
- Great Victoria Street (Hope Street to Grosvenor Road) and Fisherwick Place - lane reallocation and introduction of a northbound bus lane
- Grosvenor Road (Durham Street to Great Victoria Street) - lane reallocation
- College Avenue and College Square East - lane reallocation and introduction of a southbound bus lane
- Victoria Street – introduction of a cycle track from Chichester Street to Gloucester Street
- Ann Street – introduction of a two-way cycle track from Victoria Street to Oxford Street
- College Square North, Durham Street and Grosvenor Road – resurfacing
- Wellington Place, Donegall Square North, Donegall Square East and Chichester Street - lane reallocation and introduction of bus lanes
Motorists should take care where lane restrictions are in place. Those who normally travel along Great Victoria Street should consider using the alternative route via Hope Street, Sandy Row, Durham Street and College Square North to avoid the works in Great Victoria Street/ Fisherwick Place, if appropriate to do so.
You can find out more about the roadworks at the following link
More useful links
- Roadworks (travel, transport and roads section)
- Road closures and diversions in your area (travel, transport and roads section)
- Traffic management (travel, transport and roads section)
- Planning your journey (travel, transport and roads section)
- Public transport (travel, transport and roads section)
- Cycling and walking (travel, transport and roads section)
- Travelwise NI (travel, transport and roads section)
- Trafficwatch NI website