Skip to content

Information about MOT, driver testing and licensing

The Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) still provides vehicle testing (MOT), driving tests and driver licensing services to people in Northern Ireland. However, you can no longer tax or register a vehicle at its offices.

DVA services

The motor tax offices closed on 17 July 2014, when vehicle licensing services were transferred to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) in Swansea.

But DVA still continues to offer other services, including:

  • vehicle testing (MOT)
  • driving tests
  • driver licensing
  • bus and taxi licensing
  • roadside compliance checks

If you need to update, renew or apply for a new licence, then do so through DVA.

If you need identity documents checked for a driving licence application, this service is now available at County Hall, Coleraine and a range of MOT test centres.

For more information, visit:

MOTs for GB-registered vehicles

If you've bought a GB-registered vehicle which is aged between three and four years old, you can tax it over the counter in the Post Office without the need to produce an MOT until after the vehicle reaches four years old.

DVA has worked closely with DVLA to ensure that local Post Offices have the information that customers need to complete this service.

How to tax or register your vehicle

If you want to tax or register your vehicle, you must do it at a Post Office, online or by phone.

To tax your car online or by phone, use the 11 digit number on your V5 log book - select 'I don't have the V11 reminder, just the registration certificate' and continue.

You can use the V11(NI) reminder form if you are using the Post Office service.

More information on how you can tax your car can be found at the following link:

More useful links