Skip to content

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (diseases and deafness)

If you're ill or have a disability because of disease or deafness caused by certain types of work, you may be able to claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (diseases and deafness).

Who is eligible

You can claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (diseases and deafness) if you were employed in a job that caused you to suffer from the disease. The scheme covers more than 70 diseases, including:

  • a disease caused by working with asbestos
  • asthma
  • chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
  • deafness
  • pneumoconiosis (including silicosis and asbestosis)
  • tenosynovitis
  • prescribed disease A11 (previously known as vibration white finger)

You can get a full list of illnesses and more information from the Industrial Injuries Branch at the following address :

Industrial Injuries Branch
Mail Opening Unit
PO Box 42
BT42 4AN

Who is not eligible

You can't claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you were self-employed in work that caused your disease or deafness.

How much you can get

Your individual circumstances including your age and the severity of your disability will affect the level of benefit you may get.This will be assessed by a doctor on a scale of one to 100 per cent. For certain lung diseases, payment is made at the 100 per cent rate from the start of your claim.

All amounts are a guide only:

Assessed level of disablement Aged over 18 (weekly amount) Aged under 18 with no dependants (weekly amount)
100 per cent £168.00 £96.90
90 per cent £151.20 £87.21
80 per cent £134.40 £77.52
70 per cent £117.60 £67.83
60 per cent £100.80 £58.14
50 per cent £84.00 £48.45
40 per cent £67.20 £38.76
30 per cent £50.40 £29.07
20 per cent £33.60 £19.38

How to claim

You can claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit by visiting the nidirect page below and filling in the forms provided.

You can also get a claim form from Industrial Injuries Branch, at your local Social Security/Jobs and Benefits office.

How it's paid

The Social Security's normal way of paying pensions and benefits is Direct Payment into an account. It is a safe, convenient and efficient method of payment.

If you are registered blind or need someone who cares for you to collect the money, a cheque can be sent to cash at the Post Office.

Effect on other benefits

You may qualify for other benefits if you have a disability from disease or deafness caused by work, but the amount may be reduced by the amount of income-related benefits you get, including Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance and Housing Benefit/Rate Relief.

Tell the office that pays your benefits if you're getting Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit and related benefits.

Other benefits you may be able to receive

Industrial Death Benefit

You can claim if your wife or husband died before 11 April 1988 as a result of an industrial accident or disease. Ask the Industrial Injuries Branch for details.

Constant Attendance Allowance

You can claim for diseases that started before 1 October 1990, where your disability is assessed at 100 per cent and you need daily care and attention.

The Constant Attendance Allowance rate you are paid is based on an assessment of your needs.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (accidents)

You may also be able to get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (accidents) if you're disabled as a result of a work-related accident.

Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance

You can claim £67.20 paid in addition to the Constant Attendance Allowance rates, if you are assessed at Constant Attendance Allowance intermediate or exceptional rate and need permanent, constant care and attention.

Reduced Earnings Allowance

You may be able to get Reduced Earnings Allowance (REA) if your current earnings, or earnings in a job which it is considered you could do, are less than the current earnings in your previous regular occupation.

You can only get REA for claims relating to industrial diseases that first occurred before 1 October 1990. The maximum weekly rate is £67.20.

Retirement Allowance

Retirement Allowance replaces Reduced Earnings Allowance when you reach State Pension age. You may qualify for a maximum weekly rate of £16.80.

Help to stay in employment

If your health or disability affects the way you do your job, there are employment schemes that can help you to stay in work.

More useful links