Sport and leisure
Taking part in a sport or leisure activity is a great way to meet new people and have fun. There’s a whole range of opportunities out there and it’s easy to get started. Find out what’s happening near you.
Whatever you’ve felt about sport in the past, think again. Getting into a sport or activity is all about making the most of your time and can help you feel good about yourself.
Whatever sport you choose, what matters is that you’re out and about and having fun with your friends.
Don’t be put off if you’ve tried a certain sport before. There’s so much out there for you to try, from skateboarding to dance, to football. Many clubs give you a chance to try things out at taster sessions, to find out what the right sport might be for you.
There will also be lots of people around who have been trained to help you get the most out of whatever you’ve chosen.
Because there are so many sporting activities going on, it can be difficult to find out what exactly is on offer in your area. If you’re not sure where to start looking, you can:
- ask at your school
- check out your local council's website
- do an internet search for sports clubs or centres near you
- Sports and hobbies (people with disabilities section)
- Disability Sports NI
- Sport Northern Ireland (contacts section)
- Local councils in Northern Ireland (contacts section)
Youth clubs and classes near you
Your local education and library board (ELB) or church may run youth clubs or drop-in centres where you can catch up with your friends and meet others. You can also find out whether your ELB runs any classes that you may be interested in.
They may organise a whole range of activities, such as drama groups and sport classes, without you even realising. The following link will let you search for your local youth club.
Stop climate change
There are lots of things you can do at home to stop global warming and save energy. Just making a few changes will really make a difference if everybody does it.
- Northern Ireland Environment Link (contacts section)
- Education for Sustainable Development Forum
- Being greener every day
Ideas for your spare time
If you're stuck for something to do, take a look at our ideas for using up your leisure time. From taking up a sport, learning a new skill, or finding out more about your local history, there's something for everyone.
- Arts Council of Northern Ireland (contacts section)
- Northern Ireland Environment Agency (contacts section)
- National Museums Northern Ireland (contacts section)
- Leisure and recreation (leisure, home and community section)
- Everyday life and leisure (people with disabilities section)