Skip to content

How to claim compensation from Roads Service

If you are involved in an accident and believe that Roads Service is responsible, you can make a claim for compensation. This page will answer some of the most commonly asked questions that arise when making a claim against Roads Service.

How do I make a claim?

Completing a claim form will assist Roads Service Claims Unit to process your claim as quickly as possible. You may download a claim form using the links below.

Alternatively, you may request a claim form by email, by phone, in writing, or in person at either of our offices (addresses below).

You must sign the claim form and attach any relevant documentation to it before returning it to the Claims Unit. All forms should be returned to the main office in Belfast.

Belfast Office

Roads Service Claims Unit
Roads Service Headquarters
Clarence Court
10-18 Adelaide Street
Phone: 0300 200 7810
Fax: 028 9054 0665

Londonderry Office

Roads Service Claims Unit
Orchard House
Foyle Street
BT48 6AT
Phone: 0300 200 7810
Fax: 028 7131 9719

When will I receive my compensation?

Compensation is not automatically guaranteed. Roads Service must thoroughly investigate every claim to establish whether or not it has a defence to the allegations made.  When our investigations are complete we will notify you of our decision in writing.

Property and Vehicle Damage – If the decision is taken to settle your claim, please note that the amount of compensation offered will be the amount estimated to return your property to the condition it was in immediately prior to the damage.  There is no legal entitlement to “new for old”, therefore the amount of compensation paid may be less than the amount claimed.

Personal Injury only – If we make an offer of compensation for an injury to a Minor, the matter will be referred to a Judge to assess if the compensation is fair.  Any compensation paid will be held by the court until the Minor reaches the age of 18.

How long will it take to process my claim?

The average timescale for a decision to be taken on vehicle damage claims is four months, and for personal injury claims six months.

For internal flooding of living accommodation, the target is six weeks. The average timescale for a decision on all other property damage claims is six months.

To investigate your claim thoroughly, Roads Service Claims Unit may have to check the following:

  • Roads Service inspection and repair records
  • other records held by Roads Service (for example, public complaints)
  • whether or not a contractor or other organisation is involved

Once your claim has been thoroughly investigated, a decision is taken to settle it, reject it or refer it to another party.

Why do you need to involve another party?

From investigations, it may be established that a contractor or another person or organisation caused the defect in question.   In those circumstances details will be passed to that person or organisation to further investigate your claim.

Will I have to attend a meeting at the accident site?

Personal injury and vehicle damage only

Provision of clear, dated photographs with your claim form showing the surrounding area may enable us to identify the exact location, and, therefore a meeting on site may not be necessary. If we cannot identity the exact location from the photographs, a meeting will be arranged with a member of Roads Service staff so that you can show us the exact location.

Property Damage

In the course of our investigation, it may be necessary for a member of Roads Service staff to establish the cause and inspect the damage to your property.  In some cases Roads Service Claims Unit may employ the services of a loss adjuster to inspect the damage to your property and to advise on the financial aspects of a claim.

Such visits form part of Roads Service investigations and do not mean that Roads Service is accepting liability.

In the event that you have already carried out the repairs, please retain the damaged property and/or provide photographs of it.

What if my claim relates to the sewerage and water supply?

Northern Ireland Water Limited is responsible for the supply of water and sewerage services, and the company has its own claims handling procedures.

If your claim arises as a result of flooding or any other actions or operations taken by or on behalf of Northern Ireland Water, you should contact Waterline to request a claim form. Further information may be found at the “Flooding in your area” page.