How to tax your vehicle with a reminder
About three weeks before your tax disc runs out, you should get a V11(NI) ‘Vehicle Licence Application/Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)’ reminder from the Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA). Use this to renew your tax by post or in person.
When to apply for your new tax disc
The law states that vehicle owners can no longer ignore licence renewal reminders. If you receive a V11(NI) renewal from DVA, you can use this to renew your tax disc or make a SORN.
You can do this from the fifth day of the month that your current tax disc or SORN is due to expire.
Taxing a car, motorcycle or light goods vehicle
You can use the V11(NI) reminder to tax your vehicle:
- at a Post Office® branch
- at a DVA local office
- by post to the address shown on the reminder form
Take or send the following:
- the completed V11(NI) reminder
- your insurance certificate or cover note - it must be valid when the tax disc starts
- valid MOT certificate - if the car or motorcycle is over four years old, it must be valid when the tax disc starts
- the payment shown on the reminder (not needed if your vehicle is exempt from paying vehicle tax)
The V11(NI) reminder will be returned to you when the tax disc is issued at a Post Office® branch.
- Insurance and MOT needed to tax your vehicle
- Taxing your vehicle in the disabled tax class
- List of Post Offices where you can licence your vehicle
Change of name or address
If you have changed your name or address, write the new details in section six of your Registration Certificate V5C(NI), sign it, include it with your tax application and bring it to a selected Post Office® branch, a DVA local office or post it to:
Coleraine County Hall
Change to tax class, fuel type or engine size
If there have been changes to your vehicle like engine size, you won't be able to use the V11(NI) reminder to tax your vehicle at the Post Office®.
Vehicle is due to be taxed while you’re abroad
If you’re going to be abroad when your vehicle tax expires, you can tax in advance or ask someone to tax for you.
Taxing a lorry, bus or other type of vehicle
Most vehicles can be taxed at a Post Office® branch that issues tax discs using the V11(NI) reminder. For some heavy goods vehicles (HGV) DVA issues a V13(NI) (HGV licence reminder) which can only be used at any DVA local office or by post to:
Coleraine County Hall
You can get more information at the page below: