How to apply for a duplicate tax disc
You must replace your tax disc if it has been lost, stolen, destroyed or damaged, or if the figures on it can’t be read because the disc has faded.
What you need to do
You can apply in person at your nearest Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) local office, or by post to:
Coleraine County Hall
You will need to take or send:
- a completed V20(NI) 'Application for duplicate tax disc'
- Registration Certificate or New Keeper Supplement
- £7 fee (if needed)
- the original tax disc if you still have it
- a copy of the DVA refund reject letter (V983(NI) (if applicable)
- Where are the motor tax offices?
- Download: Duplicate vehicle licence disc application form - V20(NI) (PDF 143 KB)
- Help with PDF files
If you have received a DVA refund reject letter V983(NI) and you wish to apply for a duplicate tax disc, please complete a V20(NI) and forward this with the refund reject letter.
If you don’t have a Registration Certificate or New Keeper Supplement, you’ll need to complete a V34(NI) 'Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate' V5C(NI). You’ll also need to include the fee of £25 (for a Registration Certificate) with your duplicate tax disc application.
The New Keeper Supplement can be used at a DVA local office for up to 13 months from the date you bought your vehicle. If it’s out-of-date, you’ll need to complete V34(NI) 'Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate' V5C(NI) instead. Include this and the new keeper supplement with your application. The £25 fee isn’t required.
- Download: Application form for a Vehicle Registration Certificate V5C(NI) - V34(NI) (PDF 155 KB)
- Help with PDf files
The fee for a duplicate tax disc
A duplicate tax disc is £7 and is generally not refunded after the application has been received at the DVA local office.
You don’t need to pay the fee for the tax disc if:
- it’s unreadable or the colour has faded
- it has been lost in the post when it was sent to you by DVA
- the police are holding it as evidence
- a V14(NI) 'Application for a refund of vehicle tax' has been rejected by the DVA - a copy of the reject letter needs to be enclosed with the V20(NI) form
You also don’t need to pay the fee if the vehicle:
- is exempt from paying vehicle tax, like the disabled tax class
- has been stolen and recovered without the tax disc
If you are not the person who licensed the vehicle, a duplicate disc cannot be issued unless you get a letter from the previous keeper stating that they will not claim a refund for the months left to run on the original tax disc.
The fee for a duplicate tax disc is £7.00 and cannot usually be refunded once the application has been received at a DVA office.
If you find the original tax disc
Keep the duplicate tax disc on the vehicle. As the original tax disc is no longer valid, you must return it to any DVA local office or to DVA by post at:
Coleraine County Hall
Stolen tax disc
You must notify the police if your tax disc has been stolen.