Skip to content

Making a Formal Complaint to DVA

The Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) works within a framework set by law, and the decisions made have to be in line with relevant laws. It may not always be possible to meet your expectations.

How to make a formal complaint

If you wish to make a formal complaint to DVA you can write, email or telephone using the details below:

DVA Customer Services
County Hall
Castlerock Road
BT51 3HS



  • DVA Driver Licensing & Testing Enquiries 0300 200 7861

At each stage you will need to give:

  • full name and address
  • date of birth or driver number (if your complaint relates to your driving licence)
  • your vehicle's registration number (if your complaint relates to a vehicle or a driving test)
  • your daytime contact number (if possible)
  • full details of your complaint, including any previous dealings with us about it

This information will help DVA to deal with your concerns fully.

Stage one

At stage one your complaint is forwarded to the manager of the section, office, or centre that you have been dealing with so that a detailed explanation can be given to clarify the decision you were unhappy about.

Please provide as much information at this stage as possible so that your complaint can be investigated fully.

All the letters you receive from DVA will give the contact details of the person who sent them, and a reference number.

Stage two

At stage two, a senior manager responsible for the area of concern will reconsider all the information received from you, and the response given at stage one. Their reply will be reviewed and discussed with the Customer Services Manager before being issued to you.

Stage three

At stage three, if you still feel your complaint has not been dealt with fully, you can write to:

The Chief Executive
Driver & Vehicle Agency
148 - 158 Corporation Street
Town Parks

If you are still not satisfied

If you remain dissatisfied with the Agency’s response, or how your complaint has been handled, you can ask a Member of the Northern Ireland Assembly (MLA) to refer the matter to the Northern Ireland Ombudsman on your behalf.

The Ombudsman is independent and can investigate complaints against government departments and their agencies. Usually, before you complain to the Ombudsman, you will be expected to have exhausted the body's internal complaints procedure. In exceptional circumstances the Ombudsman may be prepared to accept your complaint before you have exhausted the body's internal complaints procedure. Your reasons for this should be set out in your complaint to the Ombudsman.

More useful links