Skip to content

How do I become an Approved Motorcycle Instructor (AMI)?

Picture of Motorcyclist and trainer To become an Approved Motorcycle Instructor (AMI), you must complete three qualifying tests. Part 1 will test your theory knowledge, Part 2 will test your riding ability and fitness and Part 3 will test your ability to instruct learner motorcycle drivers.

Becoming an AMI

When you first apply to take the AMI theory test, Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) will require an enhanced security check which is carried out by Access NI. Once this check has been completed DVA will send you a letter containing your eligibility number. You will need this number in order to book a theory test.

If you have concerns about your criminal history you are strongly advised to speak to DVA before committing yourself to advance fees for any training packages offered by AMI training providers.

Information relating to the Access NI check on applying for Part 1 is explained on Pages 13 & 14 of ‘Your Guide To Becoming An AMI’ available at the link below, as is a list of training materials which will assist you in preparing for each test:

You must complete and pass all three tests, in order, within a two year period. If you fail any part of the examination process three times, you will have to wait two years from the date you first sat the theory test before beginning the examination process again. The three tests are:

  • AMI Theory Test (Part 1)
  • AMI Riding Ability and Fitness Test (Part 2) (which includes vehicle safety questions)
  • AMI Instructional Ability Test (Part 3)

Can I become an AMI if I am disabled?

If you have a disability you can still apply to become an AMI provided the details of your restrictions on your licence are sent with your initial application to ensure suitable arrangements are made to facilitate your needs.

What else do I need to be an AMI?

If you want to become an AMI you must also:

  • hold a current full Northern Ireland, Great Britain or Community (EC/EEC) motorcycle licence
  • have held one of the above licences for a total of four years out of the past six years
  • have not been disqualified from motorcycle riding/driving in any part of the four years preceding the date of your application
  • have passed the specified theory, practical and instructional ability test within a two-year period
  • be a fit and proper person to have your name included on the Register - all spent and unspent convictions, motoring and non-motoring, will be taken into account when DVA assesses your suitability to be entered onto the Register

How do I apply?

You can apply online for any part of your AMI examination using the online payment facility at the links below through DVA official booking partners:

You can also send the appropriate fee with an application form, which is available to download below or obtained from the Driver & Vehicle Agency's Business Support Unit (BSU).

Completed forms should be sent to the BSU at the following address:

Business Support Unit
Driver & Vehicle Agency
Balmoral Road
Malone Lower
BT12 6QL

Where can I take the tests?

The theory test (Part 1) is available at any of the six theory test centres throughout Northern Ireland – Ballymena, Belfast, Londonderry, Newry, Omagh and Portadown.

The riding ability (Part 2) and the instructional ability test (Part 3) are conducted by DVA from three locations: Craigavon, Londonderry (Newbuildings) and Mallusk.

How much will they cost?

Current fees are: Current October 2014 October 2015
Theory Test (Part 1) £72 £66 £64
Driving Ability and Fitness Test (Part 2) £130
Instructional Ability Test (Part 3) £138
Registration/ Renewal £240

Joining the register

Once you successfully complete all three tests, you may apply to have your name added to the AMI Register subject to the payment of the registration fee (currently £240) and a satisfactory Access Northern Ireland (ANI) check by Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA).

EU Transfer

If you are the holder of an Approved Motorcycle Instructor (AMI) licence in an EU country you can get this transferred to a NI licence if you are a resident in Northern Ireland.

You can apply online to get this transferred using the payment facility below through DVA official booking partners:

More useful links