If you’re the holder of a short period driving licence that needs to be reviewed due to a medical condition, you’ll receive a reminder application from Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) before your licence expires.
Renewing your driving licence
About two months before your licence is due to run out, DVA will send you a DL1R ‘driver licence reminder application form’. The DL1R form will also be issued for the renewal of a larger vehicle, minibus or bus entitlement.
You’ll need to:
- complete the DL1R or a DL1 form
- complete the medical questionnaire* **
- include a new passport type certified photo
You don’t need to enclose any identification, or fee.
* If you are renewing your car licence DVA will issue you the medical questionnaire(s) for you to fill in when your DL1R or DL1 form is received.
** If you are renewing your lorry or bus entitlement(s) you should complete the ‘medical examination report’ (DLM1) and send this to DVA along with your application. DLM1 forms are available from MOT centres or directly from DVA.
Once you have received your medical questionnaire(s) you will then need to arrange for your doctor to complete the form(s). Your questionnaire(s) will include a consent form that must be signed, this allows DVA to make medical enquiries into your fitness to drive.
For a list of the conditions and disabilities which are investigated for car or motorcycle licence (group one) holders and lorry or bus licence (group two) holders, see the information at the links below:
- Medical questionnaires for car or motorcycle licence holders
- Medical questionnaires for lorry and bus licence holders
Insulin dependent diabetics - lorry/bus entitlement
Additionally, if you currently suffer from diabetes and this is controlled by insulin, or other medications which carry a risk of inducing hypoglycaemia, you will need to contact DVA to request a DIAB1 medical report form. Further advice on the medical process involved is available on the following link:
- Advice for drivers with diabetes controlled by insulin, or other medications which carry a risk of inducing hypoglycaemia
What to do if you don't receive your reminder
If you don’t receive the DL1R ‘driver licence reminder application form’ you can:
- complete a DL1 application form available from main Post Office® branches or MOT test centres
You can request a DL1 from DVA:
- telephone 0845 402 4000
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
Change of name
If your name has changed since your last licence was issued, you must also enclose original documents confirming your change of name.
When to expect your licence
DVA aims to complete enquiries as quickly as possible. The time taken to deal with your particular case will depend on your medical condition and the information needed. When the decision can be made, based on the information you originally provided, DVA aims to make a decision within two to four weeks.
If any other information is needed, from you, your doctor, or other sources, or if you're applying for a lorry or bus licence, it may take longer to make a decision.
Contact DVADrivers Medical Section