Skip to content

Change of circumstances - Change of address

If you are in receipt of benefits and you change address you should inform your benefit paying office.

Change of address

If you change your address it may have an effect on the benefits you receive. Most social security benefits are not affected by a simple change of address.

It is necessary to notify a change of address for all social security benefits to ensure that future payments and correspondence are sent to the correct address.

If you receive Jobseeker's Allowance or Income Support you should telephone 0800 022 4250. If you receive Employment and Support Allowance, you should telephone 0845 602 7301.

If you receive Housing Benefit, you must report the change of address to the Northern Ireland Housing Executive/Land & Property Services office in writing.

When you notify the relevant benefit paying office you should include your National Insurance number and your full address.

The following social security benefits may also be affected by a change of address:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Community Care
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Social Fund

The effect on each will depend on whether the change of address is temporary or permanent.

If you receive a benefit which is not included in the list; read more on our Other Benefits to check what action you should take to notify a change of address.

More useful links