Participate in sport
Taking part in a sport or leisure activity is a great way to meet new people, have fun and stay healthy, regardless of your age or physical condition. Northern Ireland offers opportunities to participate in many sports at different levels, from beginners through to elite performers.
You can participate in a variety of sports, including team sports and individual sports. There are many governing bodies for sport in Northern Ireland. These governing bodies are made up of member clubs. There may be a club for your chosen sport in your area.
- Sports: Angling to Cycling
- Sports: Dance Sport to Rowing
- Sports: Rugby Union to Tennis
- Sports: Triathlon to Wrestling
Participation in sport has many benefits for individuals and society. Regular physical activity:
- helps reduce body fat
- strengthens bones
- improves coordination, balance and flexibility
- boosts stamina and concentration
- helps fight depression and anxiety
There are many opportunities to play different sports at a wide range of sports facilities throughout Northern Ireland. You can find local sports facilities near you in nidirect's Do it online section.